Monday, January 01, 2007

The First Day of the Rest of My Life....

January 1st. 2007. New Year's Day. A new start. It's gone 11am and I am still in bed! I have been sitting here thinking, wondering how to be different. To make things different. Yesterday I allowed myself to be hurt, upset and angry....it spoiled my day. Again. The last day of the year. Get over it, I told myself, don't let someone spoil your day. So I did.

I prepared a couple of games for David's party, an ice breaker, and an update to a certain pub quiz, at about 6pm, when I finally realised he wasn't coming round (see previous blog.) and went to the party, and it was fine. The ice breaker, guess the character I have just stuck on your back: it took me f**ing ages to guess I was Jane Austen, and I had just created all the labels, so I should have had an advantage really....then about 60 people got into teams and did the pub quiz, complete with large flower jokers, and we ran out of time, as at a quarter to twelve it was time to pour champagne and prepare for party poppers. At midnight, we all hugged, wished each other a Happy New Year and we were all friends.

This morning I just spoke to my leovly mate George on the phone, and I told her about the party. As she was talking she said something like, if you see David, tell him something..to which I replied, I'm not speaking to him. George says, 'Oh, has he upset you since midnight then?' Yes, he has.

How can I be different? How can I laugh it off? He won't change, so how can I? I asked the question, last night, in front of a few friends, how can I continue to be in business, in partnership, with someone who doesn't communicate with me? All the replies came back immediately, they would all quite understand if I wasn't!!!

I was feeling so hurt, bottling it all up, but I have talked to George, and cried a bit, and now feel better. Aren't friends wonderful!!! I lvoe you all. Just tell me, please, how do I grow a thicker skin this year?

Happy New Year.

4 comments:

Caroline said...

oh if only i knew my love....not sure that owuld be the right solution anyway but if i did know i'd tell you for sure....

Kathryn said...

We kind of love you as you are, sweetheart...Living with a rhinocerous whose skin is so thick that nothing penetrates, I'd really hate to see that sort of transformation - but will just keep praying that there is less to hurt you this year.

Rainbow dreams said...

I'd guess you don't need a thicker skin, but hope that others become more sensitive - your friends love you as you are, wishing you a Happy 2007

Merlin said...

Making your world different is not the same as making yourself different. Certainly work on the world around you, but don't make yourself different.
New Year is a tough time, I think tougher than Christmas. Last year "J" went to bed in a sulk before the new year came in, probably my fault but I don't know why. This year we both stayed up but I don't think either of us felt together. Work on making the world around you understand how you feel, I believe our lack of being able to communicate cuases many problems. Most important, start every day looking in the mirror and say "Today will be a good day".