Saturday, January 06, 2007

Say it with flowers...and pictures....

The flowers that Laura and James gave me, to show they were thinking of me on Friday. Bless.

Now, I am going to shame myself in public (I know, I know, so what's new....) but you know I keep talking about this room I am trying to sort out.. my room, my music/therapy/study/ playroom/ ironing/dumping ground room???? Well, I took some photos of it, to show you that although I have made good progress over the year, (really, now you can actually walk in, and you can see some carpet, much to the dog's amazement..) but let's see how much 'stuff' you can spot.....

Looking from the front to the back window...from top right corner....large wooden chest which came from my childhood home when we first married..full to overflowing with....all sorts of crap....various bits of crap on top - including call to worship pink wailing clock which you can't actually see on account of other crap in the way, such as the singing skiing penguin..next a book case, then my keyboard which I never play because I can't actually get to it (chair with ironing basket), behind which are piles of my dad's record and book collection: in front of the chair is a sewing machine I never use, in front of files and a box of cassette tapes I never play....bottom right corner, you can just see more files and the top of my mum's television..on the left is a sofa which you can't see because it is covered in stuff: bags, cushions, books, paperwork: behind the settee is my mum and dad's occasional table covered in boxes for the christmas decorations, then in the middle of the room, you can see my drier covered in washing, behind which is my desk, and cabinets containing more files....in between the desk and chair you can see some green boxes, containing all my GB files and paperwork....under the desk are boxes of toys and lego for visiting children, and a large photocopier that Clive bought from the church....


Now this pic is taken from the doorway into the hall, looking towards the front window. You can see the boxes more clearly, what you can't see, to the right out of sight is the piano, which I can't get to because of all the bags and boxes of may dad's paperwork and photos etc etc still to be sorted: a large picture of the lake District can be seen leaning on top the piles of stuff on the sofa: in the window are 4 french cafe chairs, found on the pavement in Manchester outside an antique shop, when we were first married, and bought for £2 each...behind the chairs a large blue suitcase containing blankets from mum and dad's house...my mum's TV on the floor, my dad's TV up on the side, next to more of his record collection and an assortment of my mum's glass ware..empty boxes that did contain our new hard disc drive, and an old video player that no longer works..out of sight to the right of the bay window are two large speakers Clive no longer uses, three guitars (mine)....plus piles and piles of music and song books....

Now this room, my room, is supposed to be my space, my oasis of calm and somewhere for me to escape. To me, it represents what is going on inside my head. I have started to get it sorted, if you think it is bad now, I can't tell you how much stuff has gone to the tip or charity shops, all stuff from my mum and dad's house, but it has taken a long time, physically ands emotionally, to deal with it all. My hope is that as I sort my room out, so I will sort my head out, because right now, this week, it has not been a good place to be.....




3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Would it seem unkind to say that I find those pictures hugely comforting?? Only a short distance down the road from the current location of my study...and for me too the periodic clearance of physical muddle does help me to be less frantic and distraught. But you can't do it all in one go, and you can't do it on your own...And there are people who care about you and would love to help. Truly. xxx

Caroline said...

hey- but i am impressed that yo at least know what is in there...i dread to think what might be lurking in my unsorted cupboards and spare rooms - both physical and psychological! And from teh photos even I can see that it does look hugely more sorted than it did when i visited you...tho i can't quite remember when that was.

i love you loads. with all teh chaos included, adn i love your children for sending you flowers.

1 i z said...

I'm sorry, you can post all the photos you like, I still refuse to believe that this room actually exists ;-)

However, I am very glad that your children do exist and that they remembered and loved you enough to do the flowers.

Huge, huge hugs.