Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A lesson worth learning....

..at least Caroline might agree that it is, and a lesson we should all learn...I was at a meeting yesterday when one of my colleagues turned up limping, and with a stick..she had fallen awkwardly off a small step just after Christmas, and had been off work, unable to walk or drive for a few weeks.

I heard her telling someone about the experience, and what she referred to as 'the worst days of my life.' She was talking about the first week when she had to be pushed around in a wheelchair. She said, 'I hated it, it was awful, I totally lost my independence, I was dependent on other people all the time..when I was in the street, I couldn't see anything, the height that I was, I got handbags in my face..my friend who was pushing me nearly tipped me out forwards and backwards going up and down kerbs....it was awful but I learned an awful lot....an experience I would hate to repeat...'

I thought of my friend, who, on occasions, almost gives up the struggle to be independent in the face of a 'walking' world full of ignorance..and we are all guilty of it, even when we try not to be...

Nuff said, really.

3 comments:

Caroline said...

huge hug. from waist height.

xC

Kathryn said...

That time when we all returned chairs to Shopmobility after GB is etched on my brain as one of the most telling learning experiences ever...Ouch in large red letters.

Stuart said...

Sally thanks for the reminder! Caroline - Respect.