Saturday, January 13, 2007

Made it to the weekend.....

Friday was an equally busy day, I had programmed in two family visits, which was probably not sensible, but hey..they are the reason I do what I do.. after which N and I worked frantically to finalise the arrangements for our 4th annual volunteers dinner this evening. She did the shopping, I did the table plans, menu cards, bought flowers, dealt with phone calls and various problems, left the office at 10 to 5, drove home, changed, and headed off to the hall to set up.....

Fortunately N and I had some helpers, and the caterers arrived early, so soon we had five tables set up, candles, flowers, wine on every table..'Remember how we couldn't open the wine last year?' said Nikki, 'Well, this year I made sure we got screw top.' Well done. Until, in fact, she realised her husband had 'helped' by changing the wine in her trolley at the last minute, for a 'better one', (men always know best, don't they?) and this wine had corks! So, as we all sat down to eat, she rang home - not far away fortunately - and communicated to him the need to appear with a corkscrew - now. He was very good and appeared almost instantly.

After the meal I always make a speech and thank the volunteers, that's no problem, it's trying to be amusing that is the trouble. I had a couple of 'amusing' stories, but I was helped by Nikki's mobile phone ringing while I was talking, enabling me to take the mick, 'you can't get the staff,' and 'look what I have to put up with, her phone never stops...' she was embarrassed, I milked it mercilessly, and our volunteers loved it.

After clearing up, washing up and driving home, I was in bed with a coffee (I know, I know, others might have treated themselves to a whiskey after such a week, but not me, I have Learned My Lesson...) and my book...and was asleep the moment my head hit the pillow, as they say....

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Glad you made it through! Sounds like a good end to the week.

As for the coffee...if I did that I'd be awake all night (unless I was really exhausted and had drunk a bunch of wine before, I guess then it might work ;))

Hope you have a nice relaxing weekend. Love ya!

Rach x

Kathryn said...

iirc last year's dinner was an altogether sadder and harder event for you - so well done you for coping with this year's with so much poise and style! Proud of you :-) xxx

1 i z said...

Wow - what a week!

Really lovely to hear about your work, but can a concerned friend ask if it's ok (esp even the loosest family details) given history? Probably just worrying too much as ever!

So glad the training role is working out - I just knew you'd be fantastic at it; it's what you do so well.

And can so hear you taking the mick re the mobile going off at the dinner.

Love you!

1 i z said...

btw meant to mention, do you know you can have a 'private' blog now, which only invited readers can see. You could run a parallel blog for anything more sensitive you wanted to say.

Details here if you're interested:
http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=42673&query=private&topic=&type=f