Monday, January 08, 2007

And so to the gym...

I stayed home on Sunday while C went to church, and was lazy, staying in bed, reading my book, so i was found just dressed and having my breakfast when he came back..felt so good!!!! Once again I spent a few hours tidying and sorting and putting the Christmas decorations in the loft. Everywhere looks so tidy without the cards etc up, but also bare..I mis my twinkly tree, but hey, there is room for the ironing board again now!!!!

I was going through paperwork, going through anything I could find, Clvie and I both received cheques in the post before Christmas, and neither of us can find them! They have to be somewhere....I am so determined to be tidy and organised and Know Where Things Are....

After a dog walk, being amazed by the mildness, the birds singing, and feeling like it is Nearly Spring..I go to the health club where I usually swim, this time to be 'introduced' to the gym by one of their trainers, S*mon.....I admit I hope this young man is going to be fit and stunning...sadly he turns out not to be at all, (not that young and not at all fit! well, obviously fit in the gym sense, but not in the way i was hoping....) added to which he doesn't make eye contact with me and chews gum the whole time. I was feeling really wobbly, as I have for a few days, and experienced the odd sensation that I was going to have to walk out before I just started crying for no reason at all... but I didn't, and I stuck it out.

I didn't find him helpful or encouraging, his lack of eye contact as he steadily chewed gum and went through the health check form was irritating...when he asked if I had any health problems which would affect exercising, and I said, yes, two dodgy knees..he made a face, stared at the form for a long time and said, 'Oh, that's a real problem...' and kept coming back to the issue. I had rather hoped someone would have more positive attitude than that...all I want to do is get a bit fitter and lose weight... even having dodgy knees can't make it that difficult....

(I have to add here that my knees have been Pain Free how and not played up for months...and the truth is, when I got out of bed on Sunday morning my right knee was painful and stiff, and bothered me all day, when going up and down stairs etc..couldn't believe it, on the very day I am going to the gym...)

Anyway, the interview improved a little..he talked about diet as well as regular exercise, took my blood pressure - the top number was a little high but the bottom number was ok..no idea at all what that means.

Eventually he took me to a machine called a cross trainer, where I was able to sort of walk on these two paddles, with sticks to hold on to..a bit like skiing on the spot. which he hoped wouldn't put pressure on my knees. I punched various buttons and it told me my heart rate and how many calories I was burning..he stood and watch me do 5 minutes of this, and I really pushed it, and my heart rate went up past the target, and he said very good, and I burned off..oh, all of 35 calories and decided it was time for a cup of tea.....

S said if I came in and did 20 minutes 3 times a week and watch my diet I will lose weight in no time..we went to his desk and made an appointment for Friday when he is going to introduce me to weights - apparently weight training is really S's thing....

I fetl so good after I left him (ie, I hadn't died...) I decide to go back to the cross trainer and do another 5 minutes. I joined the row of people on machines, running or skiing, all with headphones on, and glued to the TV screens in front of them....so bizarre, if I was going to run, and enjoy it, I would do it outside and enjoy the countryside....

No sooner had I punched in all my information on the machine..my age, my weight, and the machine said, 'Oh dear...' (only joking..) and started ski-ing, I realised both knees hurt and this was Not a Good Idea. So I while I was ahead and got off again and went home for my tea.

In my defence, I had gone swimming twice that week, and done 41 lengths..perhaps I had over done it....

No comments: