Saturday, January 27, 2007

Need to tell you something....


about my friend Jacky..she is into music...classical music. Plays it on the piano..listens to it on the radio, goes to lots of live concerts....I have been to quite a few with her, and in fact, I am going up to London tomorrow to hear some Mozart...

I suspect that 99% of the music I like, she doesn't like. But every now and then, she surprises me..there was a time I went round, years ago, when she suddenly put Billy Joel's Innocent Man on..she ahd heard it on the radio and fallen in lvoe with it. This probably happens once in a blue moon.


Last Sunday, after our dog walk, we were sitting having a cup of tea in her lounge, when she suddenly said, 'I have to play you this..sorry but it has to be loud..' I wondered what I was going to get..a little Beethoven at full volume????


Then, the room is filled with Snow Patrol, Chasing Cars..and Jacky is sitting with her eyes closed, absolutely consumed by the music..we listen in total silence..at the end, when she opens her eyes, I say, Snow Patrol? You are playing me Snow Patrol? How have you ever even heard of them???? You have never heard of anyone....


She then explains that ehr daughter, J is living at home at the moment, and has been playing it, and Jacky has fallen in lvoe with this..and then she plays it again, equally loudly. I wonder what the neighbours three streets away think.


To be honest, I know Snow Patrol but have never got into them, just haven't really heard much of their stuff. But this song is in my head now, as I leave jacky's, and as I out Sophie in the car, and as I put on the radio, I am thinking, I would like to hear more. And the radio (radio 2, Stuart Mac) is playing...yes, Snow Patrol, Eyes Open, and I can't beleive it..how spooky is that....


And that is the reason, dear reader, that I am sitting in bed this Saturday morning, having opened an account in the I Tunes store, and my first purchase and download??? What, I can't hear you...speak up...I am playing Chasing Cars over and over at full volume on my laptop and can't hear you....


The first person to take me to a live Snow Patrol gig will be my friend for life....


5 comments:

Merlin said...

Yea, a Snow Patrol convert. Ah well, it will bug liz. So the one person who has managed to go to a gig is the one of us who didn't want to.

sally said...

explain!!!!

Stuart said...

Now to give Liz credit. We all went to the Snow Patrol gig, it was my idea. I really wanted to go and talked of nothing else for weeks prior to the gig. Was and still am a massive fan, however, it didn't work. Perhaps it was the venue, the crowd or that their music is better suited to a more chilled smaller venue such as your lounge etc. However, the music is still awsome and powerfull and has the ability to transport you to different places.

Merlin said...

Slightly failed in my research pre-comment in that I forgot she went with Stuart. Anyway the link which will explain is http://reachoutandtouchthescreen.blogspot.com/2006/12/return-to-gmex.html

Kathryn said...

Ah hah...So I'm not the only lifetime classical music only junkie who has had a mid-life conversion experience? Not Snow Patrol for me, but I still find myself being surprised any time I find that the music I REALLY want to hear at a particular moment isn't actually by Bach...It's really exciting to discover things in another sort of music that I'd never imagined were there - and yes, I have my children (and Steve :-) ) to thank for the realisation!