Thursday, January 18, 2007

Keeping busy....

Similar to last week, this week has been equally busy, and I have been all the better for it. I drove up to a venue near Ely on Wednesday, to run the third of my sequence of training days: another very early start, another drive up the motorway in driving wind and rain. But what an amazing venue when I got there: the conference centre is an old stately home, on a vast estate, and inside was gorgeous..they do weddings there, and the bridal suite had to be seen to be believed..I took these photos of the hall and stairs...the carpet was soft and thick and you just sank into it....

...the manager was lvoely, they looked after us well and the lunch was much appreciated by the delegates. Hope I get to train there again!!!

Today N and I started training a new group of volunteers..a very mixed bunch, it's going to be an interesting 10 weeks.

My admin came back today for the first time in two weeks, both N and I had the same idea and had bought flowers for her desk..I hugged her when she came back in and she seemed pleased, altho not normally the huggy sort! She was so pleased to be back, after the new trainees went it was just us three in the office, all on good form and we had a real laugh.
I realised I was having my annual health and safety audit tomorrow, and checked the action list from last year's..oh dear, I have hardly done any of them. One action was to make sure that our back door had 'Keep clear' and 'Fire exit' signs on the outside. Had I done that? Couldn't remember. So I went to unlock and unbolt the back door (the one that is a fire exit and should be kept unlocked when we are in the office....oh yes...) having unlocked and unbolted I went to open it to find it had swollen at the bottom and was stuck fast. I stood and pulled and pulled with all my might, with N standing behind me laughing saying it looked terribly rude from the back..in the end she offered to go round the outside and kick it from there.

One large kick and the door flew open, and yes..I had put the required signs on. Then I tried to shut the door..of course it would not shut..no chance, the bottom edge needed about 10mm shaving off. 'I'll bring a plane in from home tomorrow,' says N, what a bright girl..I point out that it is 5 to 5, and I actually can't go home now until I can shut the door. I find a stanley knife, get down on my knees and start hacking off bits of door, causing great hilarity as N and MA stand behind me and say it looks quite rude again..you can't get the staff... even with chunks hacked off, it won't shut, and I slam it as hard as I can and kick it, but to no avail..suddenly MA takes over, kicks the door violently with her large black boots, and it shuts. I lock and bolt it. Thank God...

As I reach for my coat, I realise I am the only one in tomorrow..when my H&S officer checks the fire exit and I have to explain why the door won't open....perhaps I will take a plane in and attempt to open the door before he arrives and plane it down...hang on, this isn't in my job description....

To add to my woes, Laa rings and reminds me it is tap tonight..oh I really don't want to, and am sure the weather will delay her getting out of London. I sit down at home with tea and cake. It doesn't. She rings to say she is on a train, so I look for my tap shoes, last seen and used on 9th December. Can't find them anywhere. I drive to fetch Laa from the station, and the traffic is so bad it takes ages, and I am late, and Laa says it's not worth going to tap, and would I like tea and chocolate instead? Oh, result...

And by the way, I have lost over 3lb this week...must try and keep it up.....if only I had time to go to the gym.....

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

So if I BUY a pair of tap shoes, then I can lose them and that will help me lose weight? or do I simply have to wrestle with recalcitrant doors??
Vintage post, Sally - thanks for giving me a morning giggle on what promises to be a rather difficult day.
Hugs xx

Caroline said...

well if you sank into the carpet even tho you'd lost 3lbs then that is very definelty and absolutely one deep soft quality carpet :)

so very glad there haven't been any fires - or indeed fire safety measures - at your office in the past 12 months it would ahve been a waste of a very good story.

love you. just as you are. beautiful and funny and very handy with a stanley knife

1 i z said...

The image of you hacking bits off the bottom of the door...and then the three of you trying to kick it open/c
losed...class!

As for 3lbs in one week - you go girl! Maybe the chocolate Caroline sent has the calorific properties of celery? She could make a fortune!