Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A wonderful evening....and a surprise!!!

At the weekend, on Saturday night actually, I allowed myself the luxury of curling up on the sofa with a large bar of chocolate and watching a good film..(so what's new I hear you say...) here is a clue to the film in question...



Yes, I've seen the film a dozen times, but it was still a good way to spend a Saturday night in, it still made me laugh, not least because of the character Spike, and the performance by Rhys Ifans, who is the star of the movie, really.

Anyway, moving on to last night, I went to the theatre with Jill: we went to the Donmar Warehouse in Covent Garden, one of our favourite theatres, it is so small and intimate, and from our seat in the second row we could almost touch the stage and the actors..the play was Don Juan in Soho..riveting from the opening second, and with the arrival of Don Juan, the main character, we were hooked. He was a real lothario, tall, thin as a rake, good looking, a powerful deep, theatrical voice which filled the theatre, and he stole the show for the whole time he was on stage, which was every second.

He was magnetic, and reminded me of someone...like a young Peter O'Toole I thought, and a similarity to someone else, I couldn't put my finger on it..how annoyed was I not to have a programme, I hate not knowing...

Afterwards, I found a cast list and searched for the leading man's name...oh yes..how f**ing obvious..it was..wait for it..Rhys Ifans. Looking like this:



..the same, but not the same...and oh, what a performance..as Don Juan, he strutted about the stage with the self assurance of one who knows he is 'absolutely f*ckable'...having ladies left, right and centre, as he desires, the ultimate cad, but I bet there was not one lady there last night who wouldn't have said yes if he had come on to them, such was his appeal....

The scene in the hospital where he sits with a girl under a blanket giving him a bl*w job, whilst he is coming on to the girl sitting next to him was exquisite comedy....and the part where he lambasts society, the cult of celebrity, the ipod and even the blog...wonderful, just wonderful...

What a cad. What a user. But you couldn't help but love him. And to find out that no more than 6 feet away from me all night, so absolutely in character I didn't recognise him...Rhys Ifans. F*cking brilliant.

2 comments:

Rainbow dreams said...

I knew there was something I missed from London .... the theatre :)

The things people imagine go on in hospital.... shocking!

1 i z said...

Oooh I always had a thing for Rhys Ifans! Sounds like a fab night - glad you enjoyed it.