Friday, February 16, 2007

A Hard Day's Night...

I logged on this morning, read the latest comments on my blog and added one myself. I then went on to spend a happy 20 minutes reading other blogs, before coming back to mine to write this post. I noticed someone had added a comment to my post, and looked, all excited. Then I realised it was me...doh..if I had a brain I'd be dangerous...

I worked on my laptop at home and didn't make it in to the office before leaving for Stansted at 20 to 11..a clear run meant I was there by 11.30 and trying to park near the terminal..the clever layout means that's impossible unless you are just picking up/dropping off..nowhere to actually leave the car without risk of clamping..the very near car parks were full, so I parked a couple of minutes walk away, but noted it was a flat walk straight into the terminal..ok for a wheelchair....

I waited an age..then James appeared in an airport wheelchair being pushed by a work colleague, who handed him over and went off to get his train. I took over and set off pushing large 6' 4" son and bag to the car park...a lot of it was down hill, so I was trying not to lose control..from what James was saying, even his brief experiences of being in a wheel chair had not been good ones....

Anyway, I got him to the car, eased him in, seeing, as he stood up, how twisted his back was, one shoulder was about 6 inches higher than the other. I asked if he wanted to come home with me to be looked after, but he said no, he would rather go back to his flat. So we drove into London, arriving in H*ghgate about 2pm, and went into a lvoely pub for a late lunch. I really, really had to get into the office, but what the heck..we were talking and sharing and it was good quality time...

Then I drove him to his flat for about 3.15pm, when he did the comedy routine of going to get his keys out of his pocket and doing all that patting of pockets and frantic searching which resulted in..no keys. A phone call to the hotel in Italy confirmed they were in his room..now James is very organised and tidy and hate chaos..you can imagine how he coped with this next setback, to add to a wasted trip to Italy, two days and a night in the same clothes because he couldn't undress or dress himself..his bed, painkillers and all he wanted were upstairs in his flat...

I said, not to worry, he was unwell, just about coping, these things happen, the hotel will post the keys back. And then I said..really I did, because the idea of a Purposeful Life is still in my head, all happens for a Purpose...'James, this is just God's way of telling you to come home with your mummy.' He looked at me for a second, then rang his girlfriend, asking her to kindly leave work early and kindly go to her flat and let him in to stay the night..oh, well that told me... and to think he used to need me....

So back in the car..not further into London to A's flat, but back up to H*ghgate to the public toilets as by then we were both desperate!!! After that visit I headed back into London to A's flat, arriving about 4pm and giving up all hope of getting into work today. I was given a cup of tea and a penguin..ooh, haven't had one of those in ages, haven't they got smaller, they were huge when I was a child...

I sat on a chair and J and A bagged the sofa. A was due to go to a party this evening, and J was encouraging her to go, she was saying, no she would rather stay in with a cripple..well she didn't say that, but you get the drift. Then the TV went on, and Quantam Leap started, and they were both excited..ooh, who is he going to be this week..like two little kids...I felt surplus to requirements so said my goodbyes and left, heading back out to St Alb*ns, arriving at 6.30pm..that will be the day gone. I walked in the door, sat down at the dining room table, switched on my laptop and started work on my newsletter. By 10.30pm I had it done, and figured I needed to stop and get some sleep....but no..I'll tell you next time....

1 comment:

Stuart said...

That's not fair! You have just made your blog like an episode of an Itv drama making us tune in again when really we planning to do something else instead. Hurry back or can you offer us another channel where we can see the next episode in advance. Yes that's it another blog that tells tomorows story before it happens hey does that idea mean i've now got a purpose too!