Tuesday, July 18, 2006

We really do all need pan pipes!!!

Now it has been officially recognised....pan pipes are good for us. I know Liz might take some persuading, but..you never know, the lvoely Caroline might be able to offer some first hand experience!

I have been waiting for her to blog about it, but in her absence, will tell you that Bristol nhs, like so many nhs's around the country, deep in debt, has got a lottery grant to fund three musicians to go round various doctors' surgeries waiting rooms to play to patients, to 'calm them and cheer them up' as waiting for a doctor is apparently 'stressful and boring.'

I wonder if the research for this project included the surprising increase in stressed patients trashing their doctors' surgeries, especially in the Bristol area? Please, Caroline, go to the doctor in the next three weeks and see if it works, are you calmer, less stressed, not as bored, and is the £6,000 well spent? If you say it's good, I may be able to sue my nhs for not giving me the same treatment.....

3 comments:

1 i z said...

I don't know what you mean Rob. I always react extremely positively and calmly, you just ask Sally...

Seriously though, aren't there better ways this money could be spent. Like reducing the sodding waiting times in the first place? But how very unlikely would that be - treating the cause not the symptoms - unheard of!

And even if you go for the symptoms, surely there are better places to start. My surgery could do with new magazines for example. September 2003 editions are a little worn now...and who reads Horse and Hound in inner-city Manchester anyway?

Caroline said...

lolol. i saw the news stories and thanked god it wasn't whale music! just think they could have done a damien hirst installation at the same time...

I really genuinely think that investment in art in hospitals is a great idea, (and it does after all but hmmm, this does strike me as an everso slightly bizarre choice

Rainbow dreams said...

hmmmm whats wrong with playing cd's? Our GP surgery is so busy they'd just get in the way, and sometimes you just don't want happy people around if you're feeling miserable and ill - no I don't like this idea....

Art, generally I think is a great idea, but surely it has to be appropriate for the situation...

thats before the money issue in my view anyway...