Thursday, July 06, 2006

It's all about consumer choice....

I suppose I had better finish the story..are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin. I get a call from DC on his way to somewhere on a train, NY I think, and he says he has researched laptops and found the one that fits exactly his requirements...we were gradually forming a list of 'must haves, which included weight..must not be too heavy, ie preferably under 3kg, and with a biggish high res screen, core duo, etc etc, so at least he had something to go on. He admitted to me that he had done a spreadsheet, with a list of requirements, reasons and comparisons..well, whatever keeps him happy....

I have been thinking for a while of buying my own laptop: I bring the work one home all the time now, for personal use, and would like to take it away to use (ie GB) with a clear conscience. Also all my personal files are on Clive's pc in 'his' office, and my e-mails are on that pc, and we always want to use it at the same time. My own laptop would enable me to have everything in one place, be completely portable, I can put all my music on, and generally be independent. The bonus is that I can afford my own laptop now....

So I said jokingly to DC, maybe he could get a discount for 2: he said he would try. I said no, I wanted to see what he was ordering and I would think about what I wanted from a laptop. He was ordering quite an expensive one!!! and I probably didn't need such a high spec.

Anyway, two minutes later, I get a text saying, 'His and hers company laptops ordered, delivery tomorrow (Thursday.)' Oh. That'll be that then. Hope I like it!! Is someone impetuous or what? I get carried away with the enthusiasm, and become excited, well you know how bad I am at making decisions, at least it is done for me, and I'll have to pay £1,000 for something I've not even seen....

A bit of negotiation goes on re where to deliver, DC is going to Northampton, but someone will be in my office all day, so I agree to take delivery... Quite straight forward one would think, but no.....

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

aaarghh
another cliff hanger! Your readers are on the edge of their seats, wishing there was chocolate in the house....
TeenWonder, God bless him, has developed the habit of buying laptops on ebay, which can yield interesting results...but the financial outlay is considerably reduced and he is very happy tweaking them to make them fit our needs. Still has to get one for his sister for uni, then we're all sorted for the moment.
Happy Saturday xx

Rainbow dreams said...

Oh wow - sounds good to me - hope you like it - we're in the process of getting a laptop instead of using work ones too - Enjoy it x

Rachel said...

you can't just leave us hanging there!!!!
Matt keeps suggesting that we need to get me a new laptop (especially as mine now won't even turn on!)...but there always seems to be something more important to spend the money on...like a house!
Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!
Rach xx