Monday, July 10, 2006

There is more in life...

Thank you to those who have joined in the lap top debate - I appreciate your support and interest. Just as an update, I kind of want to send it back as per Caroline's advice, but I am tending more to the 'go with the less stress option' of Liz, and keep the damn thing cos it's on my knee as I type. And it looks ok to you, doesn't it???

Anyway, it occurs to me reading back that you would think laptops were all that was going on in my life (sorry, dodgy grammar) but really, I have fitted other things in as well!!!!! Like work, every day, all day, except for Tuesday, but you know all about that, and I got the front bedroom sorted.

Friday was a stressful day at work, just really busy with too many people in the office, and I was feeling crap, mainly I think, from a hot, airless week in a small office, I was feeling muggy and needed to eb out of there! So I left early and met Rosemarie for a swim, which we haven't done in weeks, I only did 12 lengths but the water was cool and gorgeous and my headache bagan to fade. Timing was everything, a quick swim, shower, dress, coffee and chat, (Rosemarie and I have not caught up in weeks, our holidays etc got in the way, so she insists on booking dinner with me on Tuesday evening cos she reckons there is so much gossip to hear - mine not hers - (she should just read my blog!)) then race home, have 20 mins to change into new flowery skirt and pink jacket (hooray, I can get them on!) catch train into London to go to the theatre with Clive, Ian and Jill.

WE go to the Donmar Warehouse, a theatre I absolutely love (oh this laptop can spell!) to see Derek Jacobi in John Mortimer's A Voyage Round My Father. Tis an excellent play, well done: about Mortimer's childhood and his eccentric father - and mother too, played by Joanna David, of course it makes one reflect on one's own childhood....but all that was ok, I only had to breathe hard and not cry at the end when Derek Jacobi as the father died on stage, in his old age, struggling for every last breath, a little too convincing....

Anyway, I held it together and it was a wonderful, wonderful evening, after the play we went out to eat, and amazingly enough I chose a lovely meal!!

Saturday, I had domestic goddess things back on the agenda, in the spirit of sorting the house out, I wanted to take my old mattress down to the tip and replace it with the one that has been leaning against the bedroom wall in Clive's room, it is a new mattress which I bought for James when he moved to Highgate and he never paid me back but since January he has had Hilary's mattress and is keeping it since she is going back to the USA, so I am keeping his, with me so far?

I booked an 'odd job man' with a van big enough for removing mattresses, for 9.30am, he turned up at 9.40am, not too bad for him, and we struggled with the mattress downstairs, into the van and off to the tip. We lugged it out and up the stairs to the big mattress eating machine, lobbed it over the side and watched it get eaten up. Back home, and I and told Van Man to get home to his gardening duties, cos I was off to meet Laura for coffee and buns in St Albans and go Mec birthday shopping, which amazingly took all day! So I had fun in between pc crises.

PS: don't tell David I called the Discovery a van....

4 comments:

Rainbow dreams said...

so we won't get any more lvoe with this laptop - doesn't it know it's a word????

Caroline said...

aah, well you see, me being a bear of very big grudge bearing capacity reckon that I couldn't tolerate the stress involved in knowing that every damn time I pick up the damn laptop it's links to the van-man are inexorable. it'll always niggle 9specially now i've written it and you've read it) at the back of that lovely sally brain. 'it's not really mine. i paid for it. but he chose it. and ordered it. diodn't ask me what I wnated it. did give me a choice. didnt respect me at all in fact. damn him. so disempowering. stupid man. bah humbug.

see. I reckon that's infinetly more stressful than the number 2 option. longterm. for the life of the laptop in fact.

and i'm just off out to buy a new wooden spoon cos i think i've just overly stirred and used mine up good and proper. ;)

and katie, I just think (and i emphasise 'think' i 'know' nothing) that lovely tho macs are they probly aren't strictly necessary for what sally wants and as rob says just create difficulties for the sake of it when someone is used to pcs and the world around them uses pcs. as a stand alone computiong system, or for someone who'd use the amazing creative packages and capabilities or for someone for whom aesthetics is everything, then ther's no doubt that a mac is infinetly preferable! (and far cuter).

Rainbow dreams said...

thanks Caroline - and sorry sally again - we're torn on the mac/pc divide and are leaning towards the mac, but every time I sway towards it I am pulled back the other way... and they look so good - and I just refuse to be taken in by loooks alone - but I do like.... and we havea pc just not one that is portable..

1 i z said...

Ooh Caroline you have a point. But then wouldn't a new laptop also come to symbolise: "this is MY laptop, the one I chose and had to go out and sort out specially, after having to return that other one at no end of stress to myself, after Van Man got carried away as he always bloody does and didn't listen to me and went and spent £1000 of my money without my explicit consent. Stupid man. Bah humbug."

Still I guess with this option there could be a sense of "well at least I triumphed in the end".

And that shouldn't be underestimated in importance.

So...hmmmm...if you bought a cheaper one and an iPod would you also have spare change left over for some chocolate?

(this comment is brought to you by the letters: oopqa)