Tuesday, April 03, 2007

I'm back...


When I was little, part of my summer holiday routine was to stay with relatives in Bristol, driving the long drive from Liverpool through towns and villages, no motorways then, and we went through somewhere called Kidderminster, I always thought that was a funny name, and we always went to the beach at Weston-Super-Mare and I rode on the donkeys, over and over, I lvoed them, and hung around them when the donkey man was eating his lunch, and I remember him telling me to go away, or something like that..anyway, as you see from the photo, I have progressed from a donkey on Weston Sands to a camel by the Red Sea...I took this piccie of the group with my camera-phone...
Then I was hot. Warmed by the sun. Today I am cold. Freezing cold. Feels like winter. I have sun burn. Red and peeling skin. Heat rash- itchy bumps all over, driving me mad. I have aching muscles from the camel ride and sore calves where the saddle rubbed. I am a bit wheezy and chesty. My tummy is a bit delicate. Apart from that....
It was Egypt. The desert. Rubble. Barren. Hot. Noisy. Crowded. Lonely. I swam. I did the pool side stretching class. Every day. I did the water aerobics. Every day. I read two books. I missed my friends. Relax, unwind, just be yourself, they said. Yes....
Worst thing of all was my bl**dy ipod ear pieces. Could I get the them to stay in my ears? No I could not. They fell out, constantly, all the time..so bl**dy annoying. I must have funny ears. I showed Laura on my return, how useless they were, how I hardly used my ipod, how frustrated I was. Look, says Sally, they fall out. See how they fall out. Look, says Laura, you have them in the wrong way round. What do you mean, the wrong way round? See, Sally, see the L and R on the earpieces. Put them in the right way round. See how they stay in your ear.
Well, f**ck me, why didn't anyone show me that before????
Anyway, I have seen the Burning Bush. Really. It's still there. The one Moses' saw. So there. Ner.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Glad you are back!

And as for the iPod headphones, they either hurt my ears or fall out...and I do link the R with the right ear...it would be comforting if there were other ears out there not perfectly built for iPod headphones....

Hope you managed to relax! :)

Stuart said...

Ahhh the l and r ear things yes we've all been there! Still glad Egypt was good....ish? Missed you too seemed strangely quiet and no-one told DC to shut up! Love Ya

Kathryn said...

Oh I'm so glad you're home! And that some of it was good.
We did miss you.
Had similar miserable headphone thing with iRiver en route to India...even when the right way round,they are still unreliable though better....
Is the bush still burning? Amazing!!!
Love you x

1 i z said...

Re the L and R earpiece issues, at least now it's clear why you and George 'you mean the microphone goes both ways so I can change ears?' R, make such a good team!

Seriously though, I think in-ear earpieces are a case of getting ones that suit your ear shape. You could try shopping around for ones that suit you better (some like ear-buds are more soft and rubbery), if the L & R thing hasn't resolved things well enough...

Anyway good to have you back - missed you!

Rainbow dreams said...

good to have you back, :)
Good luck with ear piece problems... ears are all so different, yet they think one ear piece fits all...!
And it was THE burning bush?? I'm curious... do you have photos?

Merlin said...

I find the in-ear buds get very uncomfortable after a while. I have now elected for the clip on variety that sit on the ear. Minor drawback in that I suspect they make me look like Princess Leia but at least I can wear them for hours.

1 i z said...

Anyone want to join me in starting a campaign to get Merlin special Princess Leia style ear pieces for August?

Or is it just me that, that would amuse?

Ah, fair point...