Saturday, April 21, 2007

Oh, alright then....

I told this story to Caroline and Liz, whose instant reaction was, oh Sally, you must blog it...I thought no, it's a bit rude, and anyway, it was Good Friday and everyone was posting serious, reflective religious stuff (and why not) and I didn't want to lower the tone....

But a couple of weeks have past and nothing else funny has happened - except seeing DC in a strange blue jacket, which just made me dissolve into giggles, must to his confusion, I thought the jacket looked a bit caretaker like, almost the material and colour overalls are made out of, know what I mean? When I said this, he was much affronted, and said it was trendy, and I said, no, it's a bus driver's jacket, all you need is a little badge on the pocket..by now I was laughing so hard I almost....fell over (stop it, I know what you were thinking....) and he was much offended..sorry..(but if anyone can get a badge for next time we all meet.....)

Anyway, my story..goodness I am side tracked like Ronnie Barker....

DC and I have had various young boys (oh my goodness, how bad does that sound..please read on quickly...) who have worked for us as tech crew over the years..one such lad, has been great recently, working on all sorts of gigs for us, doing sound and lighting, and has also worked on Front Desk for a couple of years. Know who I mean? Good.

Chris, for that is his name, has left to go on a round the world trip in a bus with 30 others, it will take them 8 or 9 months to reach Australia, and he had set off with his rucksack and tent and gone to see the world. The night before he left, we had a SAND dinner for him..and took him to a very nice pan-Asian restaurant with a couple of other crew members...

I decided to buy him a leaving present..something for a happy traveller but useful and able to fit in a rucksack. After an hour or two's shopping I had, in fact, bought a number of items, and a kind of theme had emerged. As a young single man, I'm sure Chris was hoping to perhaps meet a young lady on the trip, and had indicated to me (because I asked) that there were one or two possibles booked onto the trip. So the theme of the presents was about Chris 'getting lucky.' I wrapped the gifts and labelled them accordingly.

Imagine our small group in a smart Asian restaurant, being slightly raucous in the corner, and we get to present opening time. He reads the first label: 'To help you get lucky' and it is shower gel (travel sized). Other parcels are similarly labelled: 'If you get lucky': a packet of 3 condoms..he gave an embarrasssed groan as he unwrapped it, he was hoping I hadn't but I had...but only 3 I told him, you aren't going to get that lucky,.... then 'if you get lucky and nervous': deodorant..then a packet labelled, 'If you don't get lucky...' :a packet of tissues...now at this point all four blokies absolutely collapsed into hysterics, Chris looking really embarrassed but helpless, all looking at me and going, 'Oh, Sally....' whilst cracking up....I looked at them..and then it dawned on me..and I too became a helpless giggling heap, tears pouring down my face as I struggled to find the words...'No. listen..the tissues are for..(gasp) if he doesn't get lucky....he might cry...' more hysteria as the guys realise my thoughts were not their thoughts, and how innocent I am......

When we manage to stop laughing, and Chris has opened the book with Top Ten Tips on How to Pull, and was reading them out, we realised the restaurant has emptied. We've done it again....as we get up to leave, Chris is putting his presents away, and the nice waiter asks if it is a birthday. No, I say, he is leaving tomorrow and going round the world. Oh, how wonderful, says the waiter, and (looking at me and DC) how lucky is he to have such a kind and generous mum and dad......oh yes, very funny, that Chris and Rich then said, come on Mum, and helped me out of the restaurant..probably to make sure mum didn't hit the waiter.......

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

Thank you, Sally for listening to those evil voices...that's a fab story and has cheered my world no end!
Love you xx

Caroline said...

oh it works so well in written form.... :)
you are without doubt a storyteller of extraordinary charm! (and naivity) :) hug

Rainbow dreams said...

another gem of a story... :)
I imagine I can hear the hysterics from here, thank you, x

sally said...

Caroline, I misread your comment as charm and nativity!!!!

1 i z said...

now there's an idea, Sally retells the nativity story from the first person perspective.

"it was only after the angel left that it dawned on me that I'd be an unmarried mother..."

"it was only as I sat on that bloody donkey, that I discovered the incompatibility of a saddle and a bladder in the third trimester..."

"when Joe said he'd found us a room for the night, I was just so relieved I didn't ask any questions. It was only when I felt a cow snuffling against my neck that it dawned on me..."

Disillusioned said...

Having come here through a link on Caroline's site, I thank you both for the giggles your story provoked in me - loved it!