Friday, March 02, 2007

Thinking...

Doing a bit of Blog hopping this morning, and delaying getting up as usual..I looked at Jude's blog, then at a comment made by Cal, which led me to look at Cal's blog, which I hadn't done before. I found the content interesting and challenging..I read the prayer for Lent a couple of times and just sat and looked at it for a while...and I read Cal's musing as to whether her blog is for herself or written for others.

It's something I often think about. When we write we know that others are going to read it, and I enjoy the thought that others might enjoy my blog- especially when I have funny stories to tell! I am a born entertainer!

But...very often I think, I won't write this or that, no-one will want to read that, or how sad will this make me sound..or how depressing...and yet if it feels right and honest, then I do write it, because I think..this blog is me, I am not editing out simply on the grounds of 'What will people think?' I edit on what I decide is not appropriate to share, or what I do not want to share, as we all do.

But..I wish my blog was different. I wish I had more to say about Life rather than my life. I wish I had more to say about my faith. I used to write about it, speak about it...I used to lead church services, have been known to speak in church (I hesitate to use the word preach, don't like it.) I wish my blog didn't reveal someone of my age still stumbling around being self obsessed..I was more together and more mature when I was a teenager. I was baptised at 14, the full total immersion, a real witness to my friends and family. I was so sure. So sure my life was in God's hands.

I wrote and directed Christian musicals. People from almost every church in the area were involved. I was invited to be on the Exec of our local Council of Churches. I formed my ecumenical Christian theatre company, and made an impact on the church life in my city that can't be underestimated.

I trained as a dramatherapist and began therapy work with groups and individuals which changed my life. I now run a charity and am working with people, helping people, laughing and crying with people as I share their journey on a daily basis.

I am a lvoely person. I know cos people who care like me. And they tell me. I am fun, creative, outgoing, sociable, capable....

I am also vulnerable, emotional (and with my blog title, nearly time for a little something, I can identify with Cal, I always look at the puddings on a menu first....)...mixed up, cry a lot and am back on anti-depressants. Why oh why? And like I said, I don't like my blog. As my blog is me, it must follow that I don't like me very much.

I feel guilty that I may have lead Stu to read the Purpose Driven Life when I didn't go to the group last week as I was too depressed and couldn't face it, and I haven't even opened the book.

I need to read Cal's prayer again.

Oh, and I need to pack.....

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

Sweetie, you are so right that your blog needs to be your space to be YOU.Having decided I couldn't go the anonymous route, there's so much I can't blog and regret not blogging...but your friends love that we can know a wee bit of what is going on for you and inside you...because, as you may have gathered, your friends love you.
As you are. Not an idealised, purpose driven (God forbid) version.
As to being less together now than when you were younger- I'm not sure that the unassailable confidence of youth (help -that sounds like my grandfather) ever does survive..and I'm not sure it should. I know that being real and vulnerable means being vulnerable to pain. And self knowledge hurts like stink sometimes (maybe always?) but its a good thing for all that.
Liking oneself is often demanding.
But if you don't feel likeable, just believe those of us who both like AND love you.
And have a great weekend xxxx

Stuart said...

Sally,

We'll talk at at weekend more! Firstly anything I do is because I want to and not because someone forced me so don't worry! Secondly stop worrying about the strong and honhest faith you have. So it doesn't fit into the boxes that many in the church would like it to. However, its your relationship with God not their's.

When we have a relationship in life it will only work if it is one filled with honesty and openess, something you have an abundance of, so keep it up. My hope would be that the church was filled with more like you and that way perhaps faith would be more real in the world.

Oh and as for the book, its ok and its made me think occasionally, but I wouldn't rush to pick it up. ;p

Caroline said...

..but we like you, in fact we love you. and we couldn't love you any more than we do even if you were a different you....and your emotion and vulnerability and honesty is part of your charm.

huge hug
xc

Merlin said...

I admire you for being able to be honest with your posts. It can be good to share, and I think blogging can be quite a cathartic experience. I use mine to give voice to some of my feelings. But I often don't get to say what I really feel because it is personal to someone else and it isn't my position to make their problems public in order to purge the thoughts from my mind

Cal said...

Hello,

I drop in on your blog from time to time - follow the link from Caroline's - so how cool/weird is it to find that you've written about me. Or at least about my blog.

So glad that you came to visit (and thanks for the comment re V's situation - that was you wasn't it?) - do come back (I don't have a blog monitor at the moment so no idea who's visiting).

Also, really interested that you liked the prayer and the contemplative/challenging stuff. I still find it very hard to write about my faith. I tried hard in Advent and people were really positive about it. Was going to in Lent as well but it seems to have slid into generalness.

Thanks for the positive words and fwiw I like your blog just as it is - it definitely feels very honest.