Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The good news and the bad news.....

What to wear? The mother of the bride dress or mother of the bride suit?

This is usually the first thought going through a mother’s mind when her daughter announces she is engaged or getting married.


Start by talking to your daughter. What colour and style would complement her wedding dress and what does she think would suit your colouring.

Wear a statement hat or headpiece. You need to decide whether you should be looking for ladies dress hats, dressy hats for church or suitable hats for a wedding after 5pm?

Don’t feel you need to wear a suit. If the occasion is appropriate wear a dress. Elegance is the key requirement. Wear a solid block colour as opposed to busy patterns. The golden rule however, is to wear something that makes you feel good.

Such is the advice found in one article on the internet.....

The good news....Laura's wedding dress has arrived!!! We went (with bridesmaid Amy) to see it and have the trying on...Laa was nervous..would she still like it? Would it fit? The answers were yes, and yes..she looked stunning. Absolutely beautiful. And I am delighted that it fits like a glove, Laa is perfectly happy with her size and figure, so all she has to do is stay the same..no dieting stress leading up to her big day.

The bad news....despite my saying I would lose weight, especially since Christmas, I just haven't lost anything (well, the odd pound, but it really doesn't count...) and I had started to kid myself that it didn't matter, I am fine as I am...but that was before I tried anything on....

There was a lvoely shop round the corner from the bridal shop and it actually contained some outfits I liked..that was a first, so in we went and I tried them on..dresses and jackets..I went for a realistic size, so that if my luck was in the assistant could say, no you need a size smaller, not the other way round..well I got this floaty flimsy dress and put it on...came out of the cubicle....and it just clung to all the fat bits. I looked awful. Then I tried the jacket on and I needed a bigger size...

The lvoely scary glamorous pushy assistant was lining up outfits, I went to try on another dress, that looked awful, I heard the assistant say, is it for a wedding? Laa said yes. Then; Oh, is she Mother of the Bride? Yes... Oh, dear. we must find her something very spacial then, she needs to look good...I tried on another promising dress with a strange under arm zip..asked Laa to come in and help me..then she couldn't do the zip up..at which point, like a sad, fat person, I started crying and said, 'I don't want to do this any more, I just want to go home, get rid of that woman..' Ok. said Laa, taking control, going out and telling pushy lady that we had run out of time and needed to go, I pulled myself together and emerged from the cubicle into the shop..Oh, let me just show you these outfits, says pushy lady, and I say lvoely, but I need to go, and we got out as quickly as possible...

I should have tried something on weeks ago. It might have given me the shock I needed to do something about my weight. I did join the gym, I do pack my swimming stuff but I don't go....right excuse me I need to get up, pack my bag and actually go swimming after work..before having a lettuce leaf for my tea...

As it says in the article above...elegance is the key requirement. Maybe I could book a stand in???

3 comments:

Caroline said...

come to bristol, we can go shopping together, i will happily run over the precious toes of pushy shop assistants and we WILL find something that's beautiful on you, because you ARE beautiful.

1 i z said...

Listen to that Caroline woman she is very wise.

I don't know much, but one thing I do know Sally, is that you always look lovely.

Maybe we should form a league against annoying shop assistants?

Kathryn said...

On the whole, I'm pretty certain that Laura wants YOU at her wedding because you are her mum whom she loves...and she knows, as well as the rest of us, that you'll be shiney and lovely and Sally on The Day as you are so much of the rest of the time.
But if you and Caroline are going shopping, can I come too??