Saturday, March 17, 2007

Party time!!!!

Yes, Friday night was party time.after a full on day. I was asked to help assess presentations given by participants at the end of a course...it was a beautiful sunny day, really warm, a lvoely venue, and I was given a lvoely bouquet of flowers at the end - most unexpected but much appreciated. I then drove much too fast back to St A and met Rosemarie for a quick lunch...she noticed my swollen face and was most concerned....I was disappointed to learn that she had made other arrangements and was now not free to swim - my fault for being indecisive....

I managed a couple of hours at work before going home to be a bit domestic - and as D was unable to meet up - I expected as such, I got the train to London to meet him there, and we made our way to the wine bar, and Oli's leaving party. I had a slight worry that someone might mention my blog to D, seeing as I have mentioned him of late, but no, people are more discreet than that. So imagine my joy when we meet up with Steve, and he says, So, David, what's all this I read about on Sally's blog, about you being late and letting her down and upsetting her? No, I hiss, he's lying, I never mention you on my blog.
Fortunately the gentleman in question laughs with delight because he is receiving attention, and like a naughty child, bad attention is better than no attention at all.

Steve continues, I wish I could capture the exact words: So, you are an intelligent guy, with a good job, lots of technical stuff to hand, e-mail, text, personal organiser etc, etc, and yet you still can't organise your life? This time I laugh like a drain at such a direct hit. He asks D why it is so difficult to answer phone calls or e-mails. D admits it's not but he just doesn't. As Steve points out he is proud of it, actually. See how much attention he gets....

Steve makes me laugh by pointing out some of my recent blogs have been so long and so angst ridden, that he gets half way through and thinks, I need a coffee, this is not going to end well....and comes back to tackle the rest..sorry, I will try and do better...

The evening is good, I catch up with good GB friends, and end up in a corner sharing a fag and a glass of wine with Emma, and Steve has the photographic evidence to prove it...we bid farewell to Oli, amid lots of hugs and red wine, and when we get thrown out of the wine bar at 11.30pm, the young people decide to go on to a club...D and I decide it's time to go home...

By the time I get to King's Cross I am an addict in need of a fix, and so we dice with death dodging fast moving traffic to get to a known supplier. In the doorway is a large black guy putting a small packet of something in his sock..ooh, look, I say, turning to D, and he says, yes, move along, say nothing...I buy a stash and put it in my handbag quickly and we make a quick getaway and back into the station. Once on the train I decide to share my drug of choice and offer D - dark chocolate bounty or Cadbury's dairy milk? And why bother with illegal drugs when this is so freely available and wonderful?

After giving D a lift home, I am back and in my bed by 1am...a quick fix of nurofen for my fat nose and I am ready for sleep....but it is already my birthday and I am excited...

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

lol :-)
As I was reading, I was thinking to myself, if anyone is going to spill the beans, it's going to be Steve...and of course he's bound to be at Ollie's do...and lo, the next sentence began
"Imagine my joy when we meet up with Steve and..."
which proves little except that D is not the only one of our friends whose behaviour can be predicted sometimes ;-)
Worried about your nose. Do you think maybe NHS Direct, if you really REALLY can't find time for the dr?

steve said...

in my defence ... i had no idea that sally's blog was a secret ... or rather what sally blogged about was a secret ... there is no way his bad habits are going to change unless we confront and make him face up to it ... i apologise for dropping you in it sally but i do not regret the intent ... don't let it stop you commenting ... your blog is for you ... besides what are the chances of him even remembering where to find your blog let alone finding the time to actually read something ... in my experience it is best to love people despite their obvious faults ... thankfully others seem to feel the same way or else i would be a very lonely boy :)