Thursday, October 06, 2005

So, what did I forget to pack?

Continuing from earlier in the week...my trip to Cambridge with Nikki. I've got up extra early this morning to tell you this story, I hope you appreciate it. Nikki is coming to my house to pick me up - she is late, due to an accident somewhere. I use the time to make some phonec alls re my father's business, including closing some accounts and paying some bills.

(I call the cable TV company, and am asked for the password on the account, I tell her I don't know it but I need to tell her something and pay the overdue bill, she says she will not discuss the account at all without the password, I tell her I need to talk to her, she repeats it, then I say look my father is dead, I can't ask him the password, ok? I just want to tell her that fact and pay the bill. Girl is suitably mortified and embarrassed, and let's me pay the outstanding amount over the phone with my credit card, and says she'll put a note on the computer so no-one will ask for the password again. Thank you I say. Why am I paying for cable TV? So we all have something to watch on those soul destoying trips to the house...)

Anyway, I digress, Nikki eventually appears and we make a hurried departure and head towards Cambridge. You know how you sit in a car and calmy go over in your head if you have everything? Oh, bu**er, I say, I haven't packed my hair dryer. (Liz, stop laughing, I owe you a quid.) I can lend you mine says Nikki. Oh, bu**er again, I say, I haven't packed my hairbrush either! I can't believe I have forgotten these essential items once again.......

Nikki has to stop for petrol on the motorway, so I go into the shop to see if I can buy a hairbrush. As I go in, I look in my bag and.....no purse. I took it out on the dining room table when I was paying the cable bill, my credit card was in it..and it's till there.... I turn to Nikki. No purse. No money. Nikki says she'll lend me. We'll need to buy drinks in the bar tonight. Nikki discovers a lack of cash in her purse. Don't worry, she says, I'll get cash out. The cash machine in the garage shop does not take her kind of card. Don't worry, says the helpful lady behind the counter, who does't do cash-back, go into the main service station, she can get cash there and they also sell hairbrushes....

But we are late and have no time so head on to Cambridge. Sorry we are late says Nikki. That's ok, I say through gritted teeth. I haven't had breakfast and we will only miss the lovely fresh coffee and shortbread biscuits, it doesn't matter... Nikki tries to speed up a bit, but not much, as she, like me, is awaiting judgement after her fourth speeding ticket......

There is more to this story - oh yes, really, but I will be late for work, so you'll just have to wait....................

4 comments:

Stuart said...

Sally this starting to turn out like an adventure nowel. Please can I have the next installment please, please, please. By the way you appear to have been spammed you may want to turn on word verificstion on comments ring me if you want to find out how to do it.

Stuart said...

oh B***er I've got Sally diseeze lvoe

1 i z said...

Yay! I win!

Lol! Fantastic story. I snorted at the bit about realising you'd left your wallet at home as well!

I agree with Stuart - we want more.

more. More. MORE!!!

Caroline said...

no please no more, my ribs hurt