Saturday, October 08, 2005

The adventure continued.....

Sorry for the delay..I am either out or asleep at the moment! Except now when I am both in and awake, so here I am.....

So Nikki and I get there, late, the car park is full so we end up driving around and eventually park miles away behind sheds and the greenhouse and compost heap and hope we are not in anyone's way. We have to leave our bags in the car til lunchtime, but I manage to grab my key on the way in, and note that Nikki's room is next to mine. We also grab a coffee and biscuit (hooray!) and make it into the first session just in time.

After lunch it is time to move into our rooms. I have my key, i say, your room is next to mine. Oh, did you collect my key too, says Nikki? Er, no, sorry I didn't think. Oh cheers, she says, and joins a long key queue. Feeling guilty I offer to collect the bags from the car, so off I go and stagger back with two bags, going straight to the rooms cos they are nearest, assuming Nikki will meet me there. She doesn't. After a farcical ten minutes involving mobile phones with no service, and me going all the way back to reception, and Nikki going to the car park to look for me, we find each other and move into our rooms. We then come out ready to go to the second session, and Nikki says sheepishly, I've forgotten my trousers, they are still in the trouser press. (I employ someone who owns a trouser press? mental note......)

So there we are, me with no hairbrush, hair dryer and no purse, Nikki with no trousers and hardly any cash. We go to the second session, then make enquiries at tea time and discover a 24 hour Tescos only 5 mins away. Saved. Hairbrush, trousers and cash all in one go. So we get directions and head off to the car. Nikki stops and frantically searches her bag. Bu''er, I can't find my car keys. Another frantic search. Oh no, I must have left them in my room. Oh dear, i think this really is turning into a farce, and I offer to wait while she goes back to her room to look, given that it's long way back from the compost heap. As she turns to go, she suddenly says, hang on, I gave you the keys to get the bags out of the car! Oh, so you did, I say, frantically searching my own handbag, and then suddenly going, OH!' and looking at Nikki in a Strange Way. What, she says, can't you find them? No, I say, but what I can find is.....(produces with a flourish...) a hairbrush! It was there all the time!

We look at each other and then collapse into a complete heap, and when we have recovered, decide that we can manage with the little cash Nikki has got for a drink each after dinner, and she will manage in her skirt, sod it, we won't go to Tescos, we'll go back and have a cup of tea.

Oh you two were quick, people say, yes, don't ask I reply.

The two days proceeded without further incident until i got home on Thursday night and got into bed, and went to get something out of my handbag...and found my room key.....oops I had forgotten to hand it in...I left with Nikki and didn't notice her hand her key in...... I texted her and told her I had my room key. I got the reply..'Silly cow.' Shock! Are employees allowed to be so rude to their manager? She doesn't even know about the interrupting cow. I feel hurt. If she gave her key in, she could have reminded me to do the same.

I am hurt and smarting til Friday evening when I receive a second text message from Nikki. 'Um, you won't believe this, but I've just found my key in my bag....' As I suspected. And so I hit the reply button..'Silly cow back!' Are managers allowed to address employees in this way?

5 comments:

Caroline said...

hysterical laughter ensues in Bristol.....please stop making me laugh so much, my ribs hurt. no on second thoughts...keep going....this is a truely remarkable story. except that you couldn't make it up if you tried....

Kathryn said...

Oh...WISH we'd been there to watch at a discreet distance. Thank you, Sally...the hysterical laughter has travelled up the M5 to be warmly welcomed in Cheltenham!

Caroline said...

look, sally. it's sunday afternoon and I've got up specially to read the next installment of your blog. and there isn't one. damnit. the spam makes interesting reading tho. hmmmm - go with stuarts sugggestion and get a word check,unless of coursse you want an ADT, which could i suppose be the case?.....would you remember it tho?

sally said...

What? Could you explain in English. I'll go with any suggestion to get rid of the spam..sorry to disappoint, I'll write more later!

1 i z said...

Oh Sally, I'm so glad you're blogging again. I have tears of laughter streaming down my face!