Monday, October 17, 2005

Busy busy busy.....

Can't believe the last couple of days...

Saturday..Up and out into town with DC who is celebrating walking by having coffee out and walking without a stick..home for lunch...back to the office to pack car with saleable things for car boot sale...lots of ironing..TV bed....wish i could sleep...

Sunday..up ay 6.30am in pitch dark to get ready for car boot sale...must be mad..set off at 7.30 with car full of stuff, dog and flask of coffee as it is getting light..Jill and I arrive to find the whole playground full of stalls and we are the last there and barely squeeze on..they must all have come in the dark..they are mad...

Take my tables out of the boot and put them up..turn round to find several dealers with their heads in my car unwrapping my stuff and examining it..'Excuse me' I say, 'Could I unpack it before you look at it?' They are hard and unflinching and don't move. 'How much are these love?' says one dealer brandishing two of my mum's dishes. 'I don't know' I say and carry on trying to push them aside and unpack, unsure if I can do this..eventually order is restored, Jill and I do a morning's business, haggle over prices, chat to people, have people make a fuss of our dogs, eat bacon sarnies and drink coffee in the warm sunshine, and generally enjoy the madness of a car boot sale..of all my nice stuff to sell, I get two offers for my flask of coffee...

Go back home and back to Jill's for lunch in her garden. Laura rings and asks me to go shopping with her. So I eat lunch, then take my leave - shopping calls! - and pass a pleasant hour helping Lura choose shoes - and paying for them! - my pleasure - when DC rings to see if I want a dog walk - his first in about six months! So we head home and I catch up with friend Peter and Clive and his mother who have all been to the circus..don't ask...

Then escape to the Wick and spend a happy hour, still in the sun, walking round and round, and I throw the ball for DCs dog, to save him doing all the bending down and throwing. My lack of power amuses him, as I try to hurl ball on a rope as far as I can..which isn't far at all..when I try a new throwing the discus technique I cannot guarantee direction of flight, so nearly take David's head off a couple of times. Decide to head home when light starts fading..then discover my mobile phone is no longer in my pocket.

Take the dog home, who is limping and cannot walk further, and Clive offers to come with me, also friend Mark, so we head back and search acres of field as darkness falls, with only one torch between us, and no-one has bought a phone so we can ring mine...... we search for an hour til it is so dark we cannot see each other, and give up and go home.

Pick up message on answer phone from lovely teenage boy who says he has found my phone..or rather his dog has...so go round to his house and thank them all profusely and give them a bottle of wine..go home with precious phone, and realise it is 7.30pm and I haven't actually stopped since I got out of bed at 6.30am...thankfully Clive is cooking dinner when I get back, which I eat, then fall fast asleep. Sleep til 10pm then decide to crawl into bed. Sleep more until 2am then wake...wish I could sleep................

2 comments:

Caroline said...

" a nice teenage boy" and DC who can walk and clive cooking the tea? all in the same story. Is this 'fiction' or 'fantasy'?

sorry about the no sleep bit tho. that sucks. and sophies limp. that's not good at all. give each other a hug from me.

hee hee you've put a word verification on., see you are a clever bunny

1 i z said...

Lol! Good to see your stories keeping up the comedy element Sally!

Love the image of you armed and dangerous with dog toys :-)

As for the 'nice teenage boy'...well if he really is nice then it perhaps won't last long now you've set him on the path to ruin with a bottle of booze! But anyway I'd wait to pass judgement on the niceness until you get the phone bill ;-)

Oh I'm just too cynical I know.