Monday, October 10, 2005

Last week continued....

The previous Sunday, our minister's wife, Julia, asked me if I would like to go to the cinema with her. I said yes, and we decided on Pride and Prejudice. We also decided on a bite to eat first, so we could chat - we don't really know each other that well. Graham and Julia have been at the church for almost two years, a time when I have been largely absent for Bristol reasons! And when I was around I was too stressed or upset to be much company!

So we had a pleasant evening, a pizza followed by the film. I felt very relaxed as I setttled in my seat, and thought, how peaceful not to have to worry about following the plot, or understanding the film! In common with many others, I've read the book, seen the TV series, and so could just realx and enjoy the interpretation. I have to say it wasn't bad, and I enjoyed it, and although I don't fancy Matthew McFadden as much as Colin Firth in the role, when he came striding out of the morning mist in his night shirt, and long coat tails flying...well it worked for me! As for Keira Knightley, she is much too young, slim and photogenic. I hate her. And as for Donald Sutherland's accent...sorry, nothing against him, but could we not find a British actor good enough?

Thursday night I was Duty Tech at the theatre for an amateur performance of Pygmalion. basically the company run it all, I just babysit. And deal with any crises.....in theory. I decided not to watch the show, but settle in the Tech office with a cup of tea, a chicken sandwich and my book - yes I am reading again! I just put my feet up on the desk and reached for my tea, when I got a call to go to the stage. That can only mean trouble.... turns out the show relay wasn't working in the dressing rooms...I tweaked a few knobs and nothing happened. It was working last night they said. I went to ask Alex on sound to give me a clue....he told me to change the battery in the mike picking up the sound. So I found a new battery, took out the old one, fitted it, replaced the mike and went back to the dressing rooms...nothing. I saw Stuart, one of our tech crew who was in the show. Did you check the mike was actually turned on he asked? No....but I did, and it wasn't...as Simon my Tech manager would say, it was just 'a switching problem.' Cast in the dressing rooms happy, Sally back to her tea and sandwich and good book. I'm not called a Duty technician for nothing.....

No comments: