Friday, April 21, 2006

The world is my lobster..almost.....

Yes, it's a sat nav!!!!! My new baby..Clive surprised me by asking if I would like a sat nav for my birthday. He had researched them and found this tomtom go to be highly recommended. We attempted to look at one in the usual large stores, only to discover it was difficult to find a member of staff to serve you, and when you did, it was generally a spotty youth who didn't know anything about the items they were selling and couldn't answer any questions.(No offence to spotty youths. I hope none taken.)

Anyway, to cut a long story meduim, the week before we went away, Laura had the week off work, and with nothing much to do, and nobody else being about, she seemed to end up at my office rather a lot, round about lunchtime, and a great deal of eating and shopping went on, most days, actually. I also bored of her moaning about her and Mec missing houses, cos they are always sold by the time they see them, and I pointed out she hadn't actually registered with any agents, so I made her go into 6 over 2 days and register, and I sat quietly and didn't interfere! (for example: agent to Laura: This is a nice house.... me...oh, no Laura you don't want to live in that road (remember I visit all over St Albans as part of my job!) Laura..No thank you then... agent gives mother filthy look...) One agent was very nice and referred to me as Laura's sister. Don't trust his description of houses then.....

Anyway, on the day before my holiday, we were shopping (in my lunch hour) (and we went to look at a house quickly, this is such fun) and I remembered I still didn't have my sat nav, and I thought, why not, so went into D*xons and found a youth that did know his sat nav from his ipod, and I let him sell one to me.

It is a mobile sat nav , that you move from car to car, Clive's eyes lit up, now it wouldn't be that he really wanted one, would it??? We used it to go from home to our little hotel in the middle of shropshire, magic, no need for maps, took us straight there. Was good all weekend. Except when I programmed it to take us to Llanrhaedr to see Wales' highest water fall, and I offered to drive, cos Clive had driven at 20 miles an hour all morning - that is not an exaggeration, I was watching the speedo, and it nearly drove me mad, I could have walked quicker. It was Easter Sunday, and I felt like we were one of those Sunday driver people who didn't know how to get out of first gear.

So I took over driving, and Clive kindly told me how to drive, how to steer, pointed out the traffic lights, looked at the map and said he wouldn't have gone this way..I stopped the car and said, shall we follow the sat nav or will you read the map, I don't mind but I can't follow both. Clive agreed follow the sat nav, then continued to help me drive all the way. The sat nav said Llanrheadr clearly in its little window. I followed it dutifully until we drove into the little town of Bala and it said 'You have reached your destination.' Um....never mentioned Bala..wrong place.. something wrong here surely? Yes, said Clive, you have obviously programmed the sat nav wrong, what have you done, turn round here, mind the kerb, no not like that..oh why are you getting out of the car?

5 comments:

Caroline said...

you never cease to entertain! fantastic! laughing hysterically. good job i'm not yet at work...but i might read it agin there,, just to entertain my collagues...:)

Rachel said...

Ah Satilite navigation...we have that as it came with our new car...very helpful at times when we go off to look for houses...but then last weekend when we were driving to Pigeon Forge, we veered off the "road" on the screen and were told "entering unverified area"...now that road has been there ever since I have (which admittedly isn't long, but is at least 1.5years!)...but we did cut out a large loop that we'd have otherwise been on if we'd followed the navigatior!!! :)

And what is it about men and directions/driving??

rach xx

Rainbow dreams said...

Just love your stories Sally - what a great gift to tell them so vividly :-) did you ever get to the waterfall though?

1 i z said...

Ah RB, but with our Sall, it's the journey rather than the destination that counts.

And when I say counts, I mean 'entertains' ;-)

Rainbow dreams said...

lol Liz I can see that :-) but sometimes its good to get to the destination too - and I'm curious after so much effort went in