Friday, April 21, 2006

How stoooooopid do i feel........

I may have mentioned once or twice before on my blog, my intention to go up to the Big Town and go to a Steve Lawson gig, one of his regular monthly gigs at Darbucka's world music cafe. Every time I plan to go, something gets in the way, there is something else on that night I can't get out of, or as on one or two occasions, no-one else is free to come with me and at the last minute on a cold winter's night I can't be a****ed, or i forget or whatever.

But this month, I checked the website, and yes, there is a gig and yes, I am free. I plan to go. Alone or otherwise. I ask Laura if she wants to come. Not really her thing, and anyway she's going swimming. I ask James if he would like to come..he has other plans but I can tell he's tempted. I ask DC if he would like to come, and for once he is in London and able to spare the evening!

So I am excited and off we go to the gig...except when we stop to call up the web site on DC's laptop for the venue address, something makes me look twice at the date. 'What is today's date?' I ask. '20th' DC replies. 'Oh. Are you sure?' 'Yes,' (suspicion creeping in..) 'Why, when is the gig?' Pause. 'Yesterday.' I have to say I have been in a foul mood all day, started the day having a cry (but not for long) walked out of a meeting this afternoon cos I was losing the will to live, shouted at DC down the phone and then hung up on him, just because, and nearly decided not to go out cos I wasn't in the mood. DC generously still decided to risk accompanying me. So while I was being moody and offish, discovering I had missed the gig amused DC to the point of helpless laughter, or was it the pained look on my face as I tried to retain some sense of dignity. Then I gave up.

We went for a meal, a long talk and shared silly texts with Caroline. DC talked about the stresses of work and said, 'I feel like I am just using fingers to plug holes in the dyke.' I told him not to lower the tone......

Now I am home in bed. You know, one day I really will make it to a Steve Lawson gig.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

aaargh
it's a horrible feeling, that...Last time I did it, I managed to miss a talk put on by the school music department for parents of A level students. There were at that time only 6...we would have been a substantial proportion of the audience. Mind you, when we turned up 24 hours late, we were 100% of it! Hopeless ;-/

sally said...

Thank you for making me laugh Kathryn! Glad I'm not the only one................

Caroline said...

'silly' texts? mine wer deadly serious! especially the one about...oh you know....