Saturday, April 22, 2006

A good song to end on.......






Tried out my night-time pic taking with my new phone, taking pictures of an excellent young band in a local pub. Considering it was quite dark, they haven't come out too badly! The history behind these pictures, for me, lies with the drummer! I tried hard to capture Simon, peeping out between the two lead vocalists/guitarists, I think you can see him (just) in the pic above right. Simon and the band he was with then, Carpathian Breed, won our Battle of the Bands competition. He and his friends were all school boys then! They were an excellent band, and well deserved to win.

Then, at a dinner party at my friend Jill's, one evening, a couple of years ago, I met a guy called Alan, we got talking, music was a common theme - he told me his son was in a band who had been in BoB: I experienced slight panic, was he going to be one of those parents who have a go at me cos their child's band didn't win? Believe me, it does happen, not only the teenagers rude to us, so are the parents! But happily Alan was able to tell me that his son was in the winning band - Simon! David and I met the band again when they asked us to do sound and lighting at one of their gigs a year later.

I met up with Alan socially now and again, and we were at his house for New Year, and met up with Simon and members of his new band, Legions of Filth! Alan played us a track, their first recording, and I was impressed. This is a new band, all the guys are at Uni, Simon is studying drumming at Brighton, but they come back to St Albans most weekends. I heard them at the pub a few months ago, and couldn't resist the chance to hear them again .

Alan is in two bands himself, is very musical, and joins the guys on some numbers on trombone, and although he was hiding behind the speakers, I managed to catch him on camera, playing the trombone!

I can't possibly describe their music - they are very very talented, amazing vocals, use of harmony, each song is surprising, every one is different, some quite moving and deep, some very funny..and rude!! They have one album out, which I bought last time I saw them. They are working on a new demo..listen out for them. They may shorten the name to Legions.

I went on my own, stood in the corner nursing an orange juice, but decided to invite a friend to join me, so texted Liz and she rang and had a listen to some of the gig! You are never alone with a mobile phone.

No comments: