Monday, May 15, 2006

A year on....


..as Caroline said, what a difference a year makes. This time last year was awful, mourning my mum, my dad really ill at home and a real worry, me nearly losing my job, getting four speeding tickets in two months and nearly losing my licence...and the year has been hard.

I feel quite a different person (well, I would if I got half a chance..stop it...) one who can walk the dog and enjoy the surroundings, the bird song, and not cry the whole time, or need to ring good friends to cry to and talk to while walking. When the pain was too much to bear. I am down to a pill every other day, and my counsellor is so pleased with me!!!
Ok, so I cried before the cup final, when the crowd sang 'Abide with me' but we did have it at my dad's funeral, and the words absolutely get to me, and it was Liverpool playing, and I would have been watching it with my dad once upon a time....I do miss them, I had a cry, then watched Liverpool win the cup. Triffic.

I encouraged GOM2 out on two further dog walks over the weekend, and we threw balls for hours on end for his dog, while my dog ambled about in a sniffy, enjoy the ambiance sort of way. I took this picture, (above)facing up to the sky, through the canopy of new leaves.

Even tho I bought two extra balls with me, we still had to search for hours if a ball disappeared into greenery. DC can be very focused when he wants to, and doesn't notice when I and both dogs have lost interest and continued with the walk. leaves.....

Reminds me of the focus he had when a crowd of us did a post-it note exercise one weekend, and DC stood facing a wall covered in post-it notes, and sorted them out into themes. His concentration was so intense, he didn't notice 20+ people leave the room, and turned round on completion of his task to find himself all alone.....

Anyway, a year on, and I have some time for me, time and space which I am really valuing and enjoying. Tomorrow I am taking 2 days off work and joining 2 friends at Alton Towers - just for fun!! Never been before - I'm really looking forward to it. My bag is packed..only one more sleep....

4 comments:

Rainbow dreams said...

Have fun at Alton Towers -I've never been either - you will let us know what it was like for you won't you? :-)

Stuart said...

mmmm as one of those friends is my wife why do I have the feeling I should be worried! Oh blast forgot to warn her to steer clear of AA vans.

Kathryn said...

Alton Towers?!?! I know I'm supposed to say "Have fun" but, honestly Sally, you are soooooooo brave. I'm lost in admiration: I get panic attacks on a carousel if given half a chance.
But lots and lots of proud and happy hugs at getting through such a ghastly year and being able to see and appreciate how things are better now.
You're a star :-) xxxx

Caroline said...

why does sally saying 'my bag's packed' always make me want to laugh....??