Sunday, May 21, 2006

I made it!!!!!

Yes, I made it, and boy, was it worth it! I finally made the 6th Recycle Collective gig hosted by the lvoely Steve Lawson, (and Pab, I lvoe the blog world, although I know and love Steve from GB, we don't really know each other and haven't seen each other to have a conversation in about two years! but as I arrive at Darbucka's, Steve gives me a big hug and says, 'Hi, you made it at last! You've been threatening to come to one of these gigs for months! And how is it going with your driving? Are you still on 12 points? You kept your licence though? And how are things at work now, ok?' and I say, 'Fine, thank you, and what about you, did you hire a car ok to get to the gig?')

Arriving at Darbucka's world music bar (when I mention the names I'm going to be lazy and leave you to click on Steve's blog for the links, and his his review of the gig!) is like stepping into the Arabian nights: it is dark, atmospheric, with low stools and seating, cushions and soft furnishings full of dark eastern promise, low solid wood tables with tea lights...I head for a bench seat in the far corner, with a good view of the stage and DC and I settle down with our drinks and wait....(more about this part of the evening in a separate blog!!!!!)

Steve kicks off - and if and when I get permission from Steve to use a photo from his gallery, I'll pop one in - straight away my eyes are closed, and the music just enters my soul and soothes me from the inside out. For the technicalities of the music, read Steve's blog - for the sound - well listen to it yourself, I can't describe it, I just love it. He plays a couple of tracks from his new CD which is being burned almost as we speak, and I know I must order one.

After a couple of solo pieces, Steve invites Andrea Hazell, who sings with the Royal Opera, and is sitting with us at our table (see next blog!) to join him, to do some improvised looping singing..I am apprehensive, opera is really not my thing, and I am not sure...but it grows on me, and when they perform Dido's Lament, once again I am transported to another level, voice and guitar blend as one, working together, and I am won over.

If I thought that was good, I was unprepared for what followed! An American violinist, Todd Reynolds, with a violin, AppleMac, a bit of electronic wizardry..and the most amazing talent! Once again, you have to hear it/see it for yourself, but the most wonderful music, energy and passion flowed from that man and his violin, and I know I just never wanted it to end. He played two long pieces, one untitled, and one called 'The Solution'. Both brilliant. before one piece, Todd said, 'be careful listening to this, it'll mess with your head'. I laughed. But as the room filled with layer upon layer of music, like a full orchestra from just one man, there I was with my eyes closed, and suddenly inside my head was competely empty and still, like a dark cave, and it just filled and expanded with the music, it was really inside my head, until there was nothing but the music, and I was transported to a peace and relaxation and yet an energy for life I cannot explain. I did not want it to end....

When I opened my eyes, as Todd began his next piece, I saw sitting in front of me, the silhouette of what looked like a small, lonely gnome, sitting cross legged on a low stool, enthralled by Todd's music, and I so wanted to get up and sit next to him, and give him a hug and say, thank you, Steve, for this music, and for this moment. But I didn't move...the thought was there...and now I've said it....

The three joined together, with another singer, Julie, to improvise and finish the evening, and this time I had to watch all of them working and playing together in real time, beautiful harmony and sensitivity. Sitting next to me was one very stressed out management consultant, near the end of a hard week, dressed in a suit and tie and so feeling slightly out of tune with the gig...but as the last piece filled the room, I realised his head had fallen against my shoulder and the breathing was deep and slow, and he was still....after the music faded away into a silence that no-one wanted to break by clapping, he opened his eyes. 'You went to sleep didn't you?' I asked. 'No, actually I didn't, I was listening to the music and was just incredibly relaxed.'

I know exactly what he meant....

3 comments:

Caroline said...

sounds amazing (is that word vetoed post-Woganovision?) and I am glad you managed to get there - oooh please bring your entourage to Bristol Steve! hope you're still relaxed sally!

Rainbow dreams said...

sounds great - am pleased you made it - I remember the last time you posted about missing it - I must look his music up sometime :-)

Shaun said...

"I head for a bench seat in the far corner, with a good view of the stage and DC"

I thought you were there to watch steve play. Surely you can watch DC anytime ;p