Monday, May 22, 2006

The importance of a comma.....

....I head for a bench seat in the far corner, with a good view of the stage and DC and I settle down with our drinks and wait....a good example for Eats, Shoots and Leaves, as Shaun kindly pointed out, the comma should come after the word stage!!!! Otherwise, as he suggests, I am getting a good view of the stage and DC. It reminds me of the sentence in the Bible where the shepherds (or was it the Kings?) arrive at the stable and find Mary, Joseph and the babe lying in the manger. My, that manger must be quite crowded......

I did say on my last blog, 'more of that part of the evening later.' It's amazing (sorry, post Eurovision use of that word is banned, I know) on how many different levels an evening out can work! As you read, on the musical level, it was Gold Star. A1.

On a social, relaxed level - well, pretty good. Silver star.

But on another level..what was going on just under the surface, unseen by the naked eye????

I was not in a Good Mood. I thought about not going, but given the history of me not making this gig, I was determined to go and let the good mood follow. I was already snappy with DC on the phone, who, having finally confirmed his availability to come with me, was being indecisive about when and where to meet. We finally decide on 7.15pm outside his office. So I get the train up, and the tube, then walk and I am there on time. It is cold and windy. Dust and grit blows in my eye and under my contact lens. I text that I am here. Mood darkens. I vow to wait two more minutes then jump in a cab. I am Tired of Waiting - not just this evening, but on every other occasion......

After 5 mins DC appears with a cheery, 'Hello!' We hail a cab in which I wrestle with the grit in my eye and the pain. I am not happy. (Note: wasn't I in a bad mood exactly a month ago, when we came up to the gig and missed it by one night? See blog of April 18th. Or 19th. Note to self, start taking Evening Primrose tablets again....)

Anyway, I say it how it is in the cab. About how just for once in his life, he could be on time. Out of courtesy. I let rip about his time keeping, his lack of communication, ability to return texts, phone call or e-mails. I get it all off my chest. DC goes quiet. The cab reaches our destination and I pay, on his discovery that the large wallet contains no cash. 'Have a good evening, guys,' says the cabbie, eyeing me quickly then looking at DC with a 'Poor sod, you have to spend the evening with her' look in his eye.

As previously stated, we find our bench seat, (after I have paid for our tickets)get drinks in and sit down. The argument continues. I continue to state my feelings, frustration, etc etc. DC responds with such a busy life, so much to do, so little time, he doesn't mean it, etc etc. There is a silence. We are not speaking. I look round at the lvoely room, take in the atmosphere, the music and the possibility of a good evening, if only..... 'This is getting us nowhere', I say, 'I'll order some food.' I get up, or rather DC half heaves me up as the seats are 6" off the ground and I'm stuck! and I go to the bar. I order a meze platter to share, close my eyes and let out a deep breathe. You know the sort of thoughts you can have in a split second?

This is silly, we haven't talked much in ages, this could be nice evening, let's not spoil it over silly things, DC is looking really tired, I know he is stressed and over worked, I'm adding to his stress, so I'll shut up and listen to how things are, we'll relax, have a nice evening, it hasn't started well, but we've both been looking forward to tonight, time out just to 'be' and talk and share.

I turn away from the bar and head back to the seat. I have been away all of ten seconds and there is someone else in my place. My special place in the corner. And DC has his arm round them.

D*rren G. D*rren G. Where the **** did he spring from? I sit on the bench next to DC and say hello. DC gallantly moves to let me sit in between them so that they can talk across me. I ask DG to pass my orange juice, which he does. I think maybe as my bag is under his foot and he is sitting on my jacket, and he has my drink he might twig it is my seat in the corner. No. I sit awhile so that they can talk across me. You know the sort of thing.....'How are ticket sales going?' 'Where is main stage this year?' 'What's happening about the organic beer tent?' and so it goes on, just like my birthday, guess what we are talking about? Or rather D and D are talking over my head. I decide I need another orange juice and announce my intention of going to the bar. Perhaps they would like to be left alone. 'Oh yes, while you're there, I'll have another glass of wine, would you like one DG? And Andrea?' (Who has now joined us.)

I get up and fetch everyone a drink. I am not going to get my comfy corner seat back. I go back and squeeze into the middle again. The mixed meze platter arrives. 'Have you got food DG? No? Sally, give DG our platter, let him share it.' 'Fine' I mutter, passing the food along, 'Sit in my seat, eat my food...why don't you.' D laughs, helping himself. He thinks I am joking....(I am such a bitch! I hope you know this is very tongue in cheek! I am a loving Christian person. I even suggested ordering another platter to share - and offered some to Andrea. I am not all bad. But the bits that are bad - are very bad.)

I sit back and they talk across me. I lean forward to take a little food from the platter and they lean back and talk behind me. It is a good game. Steve starts playing his first number, the sound of the mellow bass guitar fills the air...and DC is till talking. I open my eyes and fix him with a steely stare. 'Ssshhh,' I say, warningly, and close my eyes. 'Oops,' he whispers to D*rren, 'She's already into the music, we're not allowed to talk.' Too right.

Odd how may levels there are in life...I'm sure you know I don't mean it, we had a lvoely evening, it was good to see D*rren and catch up, and compare notes on when we were venue managing cabaret (!)........and tell Andrea how, when she came to sing at the Village Hall at Deene, I was venue managing and introduced her .... it was jolly, and social and we had a laugh...but underneath... well, at least we had to stop arguing and be pleasant in front of the visitors, didn't we????? And we haven't really spoken since. And we leave for Iona on Thursday.....

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Ouch. And hugs. And more hugs again...

darren said...

finally caught up with the entry about our chance meeting at the SL gig. oh sally, i don't know what to say - i'm embarrassed because i didn't pick up any aother vibes apart from your warmth and genorosity. i just didn't read any more into it than that! maybe it's a man thing or a darren thing.

if i'd known it was your comfy corner i would have moved. if you (or dc who invited me to sit there) had said, i'd have moved. if you needed enough space to be alone with dc you only needed to have said.

please don't think there was some passive aggressive double bluffing psycho scam going on. i (and A) just didn't realise.

we'll try and make the next gig ... and the platters are most definitely on me.

big hugs
no offence taken
and none intended