Friday, December 22, 2006

All I want for Christmas....

..is my engagement ring...given to me at the age of 19 - well, we chose it together - so I have had it for 34 years, and it has survived being taken off in various places, on holiday, in tents, hotel rooms, popped in my handbag while swimming, in the bedroom, bathroom, occasionally taken off in the kitchen while cooking....

It has always been found. Never really lost. Always there. I lvoe my engagement ring, always have. Then, about a month ago, when Jacky and Peter came for Sunday lunch, i took my ring off in the kitchen to make crumble. For the apple crumble. I remember pulling my ring off, so it would not get gunked up with pastry mix...I think I put it on the side....then I forgot about it until the next day..and it wasn't there.

Clive had made chicken soup there, and chopped and peeled vegetables, and cleared away..so that Monday evening saw me wearing a pair of marigolds and going through the bin, tea bag by tea bag, carrot peeling by potato peeling by apple peeling...nothing. No sign.

I have refused to get upset on the grounds that it must be here somewhere, and it will turn up. It always has done. One day soon, someone will say, 'Look what I found!' and they will be holding my ring. I refuse to get upset because the ring is very precious to me, and if I have lost it..it doesn't bear thinking about it. My finger looks strangely empty without it, sparkly with sapphires and diamonds...it really is all I want for Christmas. To find it. Any ideas - please?

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Generally when something important gets lots I yell "Giles" and before he has even had time to emerge from his den, lo, there it is...But I have to go through a suitable period of frantic anxiety first.
Seriously, love, that's a horrible feeling and I do do do sympathise (lost my mummy's gold wristwatch while pushing a very small Luci on the swings on Clapham Common...and amazingly, it turned up in the window of the local jeweller/pawn broker at an affordable price some months later...). Not sure if prayer is the answer here, but I'll give it a go. I'm sure it WILL turn up. Really. But have a hug in the meantime xxx

Caroline said...

i know a hug is of littel compensatory value but have one anyway....