Thursday, June 14, 2007

I'm on my way to Wembley....












..at least I was, last Saturday. And this is what it looked like: as you can see, I was a long, long way back. In the back row as a matter of fact. Top tier, back row. Block 552, row 40, seat 371. Climbing up the steep steps to the top did nothing for my poor knees, I had to keep stopping to admire the view...once I was there, that was it, there would be no 'popping down' at the interval for a drink or a pee....but I took comfort in the fact that others, having reached the top, also looked in need of oxygen....





I didn't know what a big deal it was, me going to this concert. No idea. When friend Jill said, I've got s spare ticket for George Michael (for it is he..that small person centre stage...), do you want to come? I thought, oh, it's the final of Joseph, I'll miss it..but then I decided, yes, I'm up for an evening with GM, and a trip to Wembley, you only live once, etc etc....

I didn't realise, until later, that this was the first live gig at the new stadium! And it was his 25th anniversary gig: a whole 25 years since he played there with Wham! The Final Tour. Judging from the reaction when he mentioned this, a lot of people had been there too....

The stadium is squeaky clean and lvoely..more stewards, SIA guys and Response Teams than I have ever seen, but they were all friendly, helpful and lvoely..event he SIA guy who stepped in to avert the conflict situation which was obviously brewing when I paid £1.80 for a bottle of water and the guy wouldn't let me keep the cap...so yes, I argued..if I pay £1.80 for a bottle of water I want to put it in my bag and drink some later, so Give Me the Cap....no, against the rules....the Sia man took me to one side and said, 'Is there a problem ladies?' in his best SIA trained manner...and then explained to me, it's the fault of the police, they won't allow caps on bottles, cos some people, some nasty people, would fill the bottles with stuff I was far too nice a lady to know about, and use it as a missile and hurl it at the stage...oh that's ok then.

Later Jill bought a bottle of water from a different stand and the guy selling had obviously missed the training session on caps and bottles, let her keep hers on..we grabbed the bottle and ran like naughty school girls who had won a small but important victory..I was planning what I could fill the bottle with and throw it.....

The concert was good fun...the second half was televised so you may even have seen it! The boppy, hoppy, clap along stuff was ok, but a bit samey...Freedom was good..but when he sat on his little stool centre stage (pictured) and sang Jesus to a Child and Careless Whisper..well, that was what I came for really...
And Liz, he didn't fall asleep at the mic once.....

After, my son rang me, absolutely amazed that I had been at GM at the new Wembley Stadium, and I hadn't told him: wow, he was so impressed: now of all the things I do to try and impress my kids, this wasn't one of them: but I have dropped the fact that I was there into numerous casual conversations this week, and it has given me kudos around here, believe me....

Goodnight Wembley.. as 60,000 people wend their way to the tube station, slowly and safely, looked after by friendly stewards and horse mounted police...we made it.....




No comments: