Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The end of an era.....



When we first looked at this house, more than 19 years ago, it was quite big, and had a lvoely garden, and big kitchen, which had been extended outwards and sideways - but they left the corner of the house there, in the middle of the kitchen, well, in front of the sink to be precise....and the units were horrible, dark mahogany, which I hate, and the sink was on one side of the kitchen, behind the pillar, and the fridge and hob and oven were on the other side, behind the kitchen table, so you couldn't actually get at them if anyone was sitting there, (I have thoughtfully got up and taken pictures this morning to show you) and you had to cross the kitchen with sauce pans full of boiling water, or scalding dishes from the oven, cos there was no where to put them down.....

But it's big and light with french windows on to the garden, and most people who see it for the first time say, 'Oh, what a lvoely kitchen...' but they don't actually have to cook in it....and although that day we decided to cripple ourselves and buy the house, I said I don't like the kitchen, and Clvie said, don't worry, I can change that.....and I was always told the pillar had to stay as it was holding up the house, and we didn't have the money to do up the kitchen, and Clvie has spent 19 years saying, 'What's wrong with it?' as he has mended draws and doors to stop them falling off, and put odd bits of lino that don't match into the floor where the dog scratched it...and it is scruffy and horrible and I still hate it....

Well, plans have been afoot, and I am squandering my inheritance, not on wild women and song (ooh, the very idea, well, not wild women but the odd song) but on Doing My Kitchen. My kitchen. My money. And the first thing to happen, this very morning they are going to start (oh, bloody hell, I'd better get up, they will be here in a minute) and the builders arrive to prepare to Take Down the Pillar. Then plans will be made for a new kitchen. After 19 years of walking round the pillar, and there only being room for one person at the sink...(what's wrong with that? said the builder, as long as there's room for you, I don't see the problem....good job he is a friend.....)

So, better get up and get ready...it will be a bit of a shock for Sophie dog, her basket is under the worktop joined on to the pillar......

2 comments:

Rainbow dreams said...

Fantastic.. how exciting too...:)

Kathryn said...

Wow. Epoch making stuff. Hope the chaos while things happen isn't too stressful.xx