Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A good weekend....

The Centre in Crewe did us proud. Father Oliver was a lvoely host, gentle, welcoming, but not intrusive. I kept having to stop myself from saying 'You'll have some tea, Father? Oh, go on, go on, ' and falling of the window sill....but it was hard.....

After a gathering and evening meal at the most friendly and welcoming pub we have been to....landlord pleasant, space saved for our group in a corner, food cheap and served quickly..those are the good points...the kareoke and bad, very bad singing, also very loud, and the crowds of scantily dressed 16 year olds and their boyfriends..well, I think they made all of us feel old..... still, you can't get it right every time..I will look for another pub for next year....

We all gathered back at the Centre in the bar area and enjoyed the warmth of the heating and the thick, luxurious red carpet, and people smuggled in their own alcohol, and I hoped Father Oliver would either not notice or not mind. I made sure all glasses were washed up, and bottles disposed of...

However, on my way to breakfast the next morning, he waylaid me, and asked for 'a word', and he was looking anxious. He paused. I waited. 'Um..this hasn't ever happened with any other group...' Inwardly I groaned. Oh, what have they done? I am not organising this weekend ever again... 'What is it Father?' I say in my most concerned and innocent voice....

'Well, there is more money in the bar till than there should be more..more money than drinks sold..I don't quite understand it.....'

I sighed with relief. I smiled. Time to come clean. 'Actually, Father, most of our group are used to bringing their own alcohol to these weekends. But because we used your bar, glasses and facilities, people have put a donation into the till to cover it. Is this ok?'

Father Oliver smiled and looked relieved too..he was obviously in a bit of a quandry..oh yes, you are, oh you are, Father, you know you are....

He was happy with the arrangement, but obviously bemused that we were like no other group he had had in the centre over the last six years. Well, I could have told him that....

1 comment:

Rainbow dreams said...

Oh no, I've got that theme tume in my head now!!
Plus an image of Father Oliver :-)
Am pleased you had a good weekend