Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Good morning, Christopher Robin....

Eeyore is feeling a bit better this morning. Thank you for affirming comments on my blog. I want to be grown up and confident and 'ok', and in so many ways, I really, really am: at work I am The Main Man: I am a good manager of staff and volunteers, a good trainer, supervisor, I care about people and they talk to me about their problems and tell me how easy I am to talk to, and thank me for what I do..I feel valued, appreciated, and have good self worth.

But it's funny how in other areas I feel so undervalued, and misunderstood..I mean a certain organisation asked for help in managing volunteers a few years ago. I responded, went to the office, had a meeting with the Volunteer Manager, discussed volunteer management, wrote a report after making some suggestions of changes they should make..and heard nothing more. In some ways, I was ahead of my time...three years or so later, they set up a Volunteer Development Group..but am I asked to be part of it? No. They hold Volunteer workshop days and pay an outside facilitator lots of money..and come up with strategies I had suggested three years earlier.... am I bitter? You bet! Cos it feeds into the bit of me that is so insecure, and the feeling that some people don't 'get' me. (Katie, you haven't met me, it's ok not to get me!!!!)

Stupid things..I wasn't going to mention, but now I have set off down this self destructive path....looking at a certain blog of pics of a crowd of beautiful people in a pub in London...you can see everyone as clear as a bell..except me..you can see the back of my head behind Laura...is it just careless photography..or is it deliberate?????

I am so glad I have friends who do get me. The good things to have come out of the last couple of years of hard times is sharing and opening up to people, in person, via text, e-mail and blog, is that I truly feel I have made new friends who really like me and 'get' me, and that means so much to me...

I didn't share a whole lot of the Iona experience, except that I cried a lot, but friends were really there for me, specially my room buddy, thank you,and new friends too, like P and E, and Martin - now there's a new friend worth a mention - Caroline and I nearly had a date with him in Bristol, but maybe next time.... then S, once I had got to Cheltenham, and shared the lvoley John Bell's talk with me (I asked him where my mum and dad were. asking JB is the next best thing to talking to Jesus in person...) and S was able to his caring, student minister thing, and try and answer my questions and heal my hurt....it has helped so much..then after my recent 'where are they now?' blog, K has sent me some lvoely lvoely long e-mails with her thoughts..and even spent time on her retreat praying for me - now I feel Guilt about taking up time on Her Retreat...). I am very, very blessed and should be always grateful...

The plus side is that people turn to me for help in difficult times. I am great for organising distant emergency accommodation in times of stress!!!

10 comments:

Kathryn said...

Look you silly love....We LOVE you, OK? So of course we care. And you know how much I admire what you do at work and the differences you make to so many people through that...
And it's a 2 way street, I promise. If I ever run away...
Hugs and loves xxxxx

sally said...

K, run away here, spare room going!!!! I know I am silly, I am still waiting to grow up!!!!!

1 i z said...

Oh Sall - I don't know what to say about the VDG stuff. Sometimes this organisation that brings us so much good stuff can be very hurtful. Probably completely obliviously, not that that makes it any better.

Still look at it this way, it's not like said 'facilitator' was a resounding hit eh?

And you have much better hair.

Their loss.

But, you're right about the good stuff too. You're definitely up there at the top of the list (with one or two others) of people I ring in distress. Whether being the person I turn to to cry on is a boon in your life is another matter ;-)

Hopefully it is at least reciprocal. I 'think' you know you can always cry on my shoulder.

Even on the rare occasions when it wasn't me that made you cry in the first place ;-)

And think of it this way, the people who've taken the time to really get to know you, to 'get'you, all seem to end up loving you deeply. Which has got to be a good sign hasn't it?

sally said...

Thanks, Liz, I think that's the conclusion I was coming to, and I lvoe it that you choose me to cry on, it's such a privelege!!! You nearly had me Sunday night (so to speak) but I contained myself and am working through things..but I am sure we will chat at the weekend.....xxxx

Rainbow dreams said...

Sally, please it wasn't / isn't you I don't get - it was just the post had a title and nothing under it when I looked - I'm sorry, truly honestly, it wasn't you at all - it was just there was only a title of "a split personality" and nothing else.... and I typed what I thought when I saw it, It's not you at all .... sorry (again)

Rainbow dreams said...

I feel dreadful Sally - sorry

Caroline said...

hug to one of the finest main men I've ever had the absolute pleasure of getting to know.....

you're fab. In all your roles, all your masks, all your hats...and all your hairstyles.

i'm not sure i cam claim to 'get you' yet but I'm greatly honoured by the privilige of learning.

hug

sally said...

Katie, please don't apologise....I understand..have you found the rest of the post yet? Won't make anything any clearer!!!!!!! :0)

Rainbow dreams said...

I did, thank you - and commented - if you weren't lovely I wouldn't keep coming back to visit - hate to think of me upsetting you, wishing you a lovely evening

Kathryn said...

PLEASE don't grow up, Sally! I'd hate to be stuck in infancy all on my own with no-one to eat M&Ms with.
Love as ever xxx