Monday, February 27, 2006

A good evening

What makes a good evening? Something good following a bad week...one of the bad things was running a Parenting Programme on Wednesday evening - no actually that was good because it was only session 3 and already those parents have made huge strides in dealing with what they thought were impossible problems: the session had a real sharing, successful, feel-good factor, and it was one of the best things of the week for me - what made it bad was it was on Wednesday, and yet again I couldn't make it up to London for Steve Lawson's gig. Attendance this year - nil. Will I make it in March? I hope so. Will Steve please stop planning gigs on the only evening of the week I am busy? Thank you.

Anyway, I digress..last night was good because I have spent so many evenings in front of the TV watching cr*p simply to avoid dealing with life..(The Antiques Road Show doesn't count - it's timeless, traditional Sunday evening watching) last night I watched Gideon's Daughter - had me tranfixed from beginning to end with the quality of the acting, the writing, the creativity....who would have thought up a painful, poignant scene where the actors are both holding guinea pigs? And that song...what words, how beautifully sung, I would also watch it obsessively over and over....even Bill Nighy managed to find a stillness in that role, and avoid the usual comic twitches..the use of silence, and looks that said everything....and Miranda Richardson, when she was overcome with grief outside the church.....that wasn't acting...it was brilliant...

Anyway, then I came to bed, and finished my book, Eve Green...a first novel by the author, beautifully told, and that slight feeling of sadness when you read the last line of a book, and close the page, because you've finished it...have to start a new one tonight....

4 comments:

Rainbow dreams said...

I agree Gideon's daughter had me transfixed to the tv - hasn't happened in ages. Have far too many books to read and too little time - a real pleasure when you find a book you just can't put down.....

Caroline said...

i loved them both two! hey, sally, we should meet up some time and chat! what are you doing at the weekend?

sally said...

:-)

Rainbow dreams said...

Just seen you added me to your links - thanks :-)