Thursday, August 18, 2005

About the music, really...

I am so tired this week, after weeks of not sleeping well I am suddenly exhausted, and have slept through two nights running! Bliss. But it means I have no mental energy to blog. Or work, if it come to that. I am trying so hard.................

Anyway, the music at Cropredy. Thursday night there was: Tickled Pink (missed them as I was still struggling to put up my tent! It was crooked and blew about a bit, but didn't blow down and kept me dry. Bonus.) Hilary James and Simon Mayor, good stuff on mandolins fiddles, guitars etc. Jah Wobble and his English Roots Band. Traditonal folk with a Jah Wobble make-over. Interesting! headlining was Country Joe McDonald, used to be Country Joe and the Fish (I,2,3, what are fighting for? Don't ask me I don't give a damn, next stop is Vietnam. Their one Big Hit a while back...) Not country music at all, good R&B and an excellent close to the evening.

Friday: Big Eyed Fish, a local band, a good opener. Syuey Mutch & Henry Nicol. Young folk, but can't remember much about them..Friday was not a good day as you recall.... Edwina Hayes, an American singer song writer who had a lvoely rich deep singing voice, but spoke like Minnie Mouse and was generally irritating. She sang a lot of broken hearted 'I wrote this when my relationship ended' kind of songs, and given that I was very low, when she introduced a sad song as 'music to slit your wrists to' even DC texted me from a distance to say 'Please don't........'
Chris While & Julie Matthews, two good folk ladies with amazing harmonies and spirit.

The Muffin Men with Jimmy Carl Black..well, if you like Frank Zappa................different.....then the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. Absolutely brilliant. Indescribable. Amazingly talented and entertaining..have you heard their 'Miss Dynamite' on the radio???? Classic. Richard Thompson and band.....actually quite boring. lost his way??? Headline Band - the Dylan Project. A must for all those Dylan fans out there.

Finally, Saturday....one of the highlights, Richard Digance opening the day's proceedings. brought the house down, very funny, not to be missed. A chance to join in! T & La Touche - Rocking Roots and rhythm..unique and fresh reggae sound. Uiscedwr (means water in welsh) Welsh and Irish folk band, amazing bodrun player! The Hamsters. Rock and Roll! What can I say! I danced and head banged the afternoon away....Beth Nielsen Chapman, another American singer song writer who is very good but also annoying....then, from 8.30pm til midnight...Fairport Convention!! What I was waiting for! Stunning music, talented performers, I never tire of listening to them, dancing to them, singing with them and just lvoing them. What an end to three days of music. Anyone want to come with me next year?

2 comments:

Shaun said...

tempted

Caroline said...

i'd love to....