Sunday, January 15, 2006

Time to hibernate, methinks....

I swear this time of year, Jan to Feb, it feels natural to light the log fire every evening, and not move very far away from it. I am currently sitting on the floor right next to it, laptop on my mum's pouffe (is that how you spell it?) between my knees, Sophie dog curled up on my left and we are sleepy and cosy together. It's all I want to do every evening! I have put on a lot of weight since Christmas, as sitting around by a lovely fire and watching TV or listening to music or reading is generally accompanied by eating. Mmmmm.

Anyway, this week has been quite good fun, work is busy and challenging and lots of good things happening, which of course I can't tell you about, or they'd have to kill me, or I'd have to kill you first..... but Friday evening saw the 4th annual volunteers' dinner. I meant to finish early in the afternoon to chill and get ready, but with lots of work and bereavement counselling and driving to Hemel to get the coffee things from my mate with his own coffee company! ..it meant I didn't get home until a quarter to five and had half an hour to get ready. Sod it thought, I am not having a quick shower, I am determined to have a soak in a hot bath and relax, even for 10 minutes. So I started running the bath and went downstairs and made a cup of tea.

Oh, the height of decadence, lying in a bath at 5pm on Friday evening with a nice cup of tea, I do know how to live. But when I got back upstairs...it dawned on me that the heating and hot water had only been on since 4.30pm and therefore the water was not yet hot..I ended up with 3 inches of lukewarm water, and believe me, that doesn't cover a lot..so it was a very quick bath.

Even I wish I could video what happened next, it was so comic. I dressed in a brand new Per Una top which is three layers of flimsy lacy material in a vest/cardie type of combination and gorgeous but low cut, and I realised that wearing this plum/aubergine low cut top didn't look too good with large amounts of white bra showing. By now I was running late and panicking, and kept having to take the top off to try new bras on. The three layers are attached and kept getting tangled and inside out and on one occasion I got stuck with it half on and half off and it caught on my skirt zip, and I got almost hysterical. Fortunately I still managed to pick M A up and get to the hall to organise the dinner, although I kept pulling at my top in a self conscious way....I have to say I got a lot of compliments from my volunteers about my sexy outfit...and a kiss from a local, sexy GP, but that's another story.... and the meal wasn't bad either!

1 comment:

Caroline said...

awww that sounds so nice. the fire and dog and food bit that is. oh, and the kiss from the GP......;)