Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells...

I've never been an official complainer. I've never written to newspapers complaining about the state of the roads, or rung the BBC and ranted about any of its programmes. Until tonight. Well, there is a first time for everything! God knows, I'm no fan of Tony Blair, and I might be critical of many of his party's policies, but I hope I am fair. I like to state a point of view, I also like to hear the other side of an argument. But Kirsty Wark's treatment of Tony Blair on tonight's Newsnight had me reaching for the phone and complaining within ten seconds of it finishing. Her whole handling of the discussion was completely biased, the audience was rigged with people against govt policy, there was no-one there to put an alternative view, and if anyone dared to start saying anything remotely positive, Kirsty shut them up and moved on. She asked Tony Blair questions and then didn't always allow him to answer. One or two ridiculous comments from audience members, Tony didn't bother to respond to, and quite frankly I don't blame him.

Did anyone learn anything from that discussion? Was anything gained from such a negative tirade? I'll be interested to check on the BBC website tomorrow if anyone else complained. I'll be very surprised if they didn't.

The discussion mentioned parenting and children's behaviour, and the importance of parent and family support at an early age, and preventative intervention. Yay! If only someone had mentioned HS!!!!!! I'm due to start running another parenting programme in February. I have run many Parenting Programmes now over the past ten years, and I can tell you - they work. Parents who come on them can turn their family life around, learn to take responsibility for their children's behaviour, put in appropriate boundaries and discipline, and most importantly, learn to enjoy their children again. Obviously it is good if a parent comes on the course willingly!

Did you watch the programme? What do you think?

By the way, the person who came to the Family Centre, the one I went to see last night, and gave her the notes of our counselling sessions. Big risk, I thought. I got a text message from her today: 'Hi, Sally, I sat up til 1.30 this morning reading these notes, and boy, I am so proud of myself as I can now see how far I have come! Some things are still the same, ie family. x thank you so much they have made me smile.'

Aaaaah. That's good.

2 comments:

Andy said...

I quite agree with you about the treatment Blair received on Newsnight. If I were him, I would have had trouble being quite as polite as he was to some of the more off the wall questions. Buying ASBOs on the internet? The scarcely concealed snort of derision was priceless.

Caroline said...

you mean the one night I watch trash tv instead of the intellectual, education and stimulating in your face up to teh minute in depth journalism of newsnight, something exciting happens? you tell 'em sal girl. let me know when you've calmed down a bit :)