Sunday, December 02, 2007

Not quite Show of Hands....


I was so excited..my favourite folk duo and amazing musicians, Phil Beer and Steve Knightley coming to St Albans... I have seen them at a few festivals this summer, but now I had the chance to see them properly, in an indoor venue, sitting comfortably to boot!!

C has never seen them, so decided to come along and see what so excited me. Driving to the gig I put Folk on 2 on the radio, and bizarrely heard Steve and Phil being interviewed about the new tour, and then came the sad, horrible, devastating news that Steve's son had been diagnosed with leukemia on his 6th birthday last Friday, the first night of the tour, and Steve had simply turned and gone home. Understandably. The tour had been cancelled. I was on the verge of stopping the car and turning round, but then I heard that Phil and support artist Miranda Sykes had decided to go ahead with the remaining dates without Steve.

So there we were in a packed Arena, so sad for Steve, but rooting for Phil and Miranda coping without him. The support act, Slaid Cleaves, was excellent and worth coming to...Phil and Miranda did their best, but it was not a Show of Hands gig, they did struggle a bit, and it felt sad. Clive did not see or hear the real thing, and DC came all the way from Yorkshire by train, to return at 5.30 next morning, and it wasn't really worth it...except to support the guys on stage and send hopeful, loving prayers to Steve and family, and hope he felt loved from miles away.

No comments: