Sunday, December 09, 2007

And even more predictable....

You know, I get angry, but I never bear a grudge. We are taught to forgive, and life's too short etc etc..it was always the plan this week that D and I would do some Christmas shopping this Saturday..so after the meeting on Friday was over, and we sat at my dining room table having a cup of tea, he asked if I still wanted to go shopping, cos he wanted to, and I said yes. Because I forgive him his lateness, and he forgives me (amazingly) the terrible things I said to him.

And let's face it, it's two weeks before Christmas, the shopping needs to get done, and we both shop together terribly well. Actually it was raining so so hard we had a long coffee indoors before setting out, and then it was lunchtime and time to meet Laura and treat her to a 'leaving GB starting a new job' lunch, which we did for quite a long time..it was good to catch up and chat and it was fun..then D went off to Christmas shop, and Laa and I did girly shopping, which meant I watched her try on gorgeous clothes, and treated her to a pair of black trousers for her new job.

Later on I joined D in Woolworths, he had several bags of shopping and was doing well, I had only bought a diary for next year. As we were choosing stocking fillers, I suddenly said, 'Back in a minute, wait here,' to D, and ran up the street to BHs and their ladies loo....it dawned on me that for someone who has been told to avoid dairy and wheat in her diet, spaghetti carbonara followed by a cappucino probably wasn't the best choice of lunch, and now it was taking horrible revenge on my stomach. It was not funny. I returned 15 mins later to find D had managed more shopping, and so I helped to carry some bags.

We walked across town to Wilkinsons to buy a little tree and decorations for our office, the Sandpit, (a swedish wooden cabin up the top of D's garden) and a few naff Christmas ornaments crept into the basket. Just as we were trying to manage the tree and all the bags towards the till, I was once again overcome with an urgent desire to find a loo. 'Wait here,' I cried, running from the shop and legging it up two flights of stairs to the loos by the public library. Only just made it...oh it could only happen to me..I was gone a long time..when I returned, looking pale and feeling extremely wobbly, D was standing outside the shop surrounded by bags and waiting patiently in the damp, cold air. Oh, what fun, and how embarrassing...

We decided it was time for me to go home...and when dividing the shopping I realised I had been out of the house from 10am until almost 6pm, with one diary, an oven glove and one Christmas present to show for it. Not a good start.

I opened the front door, explained about the long lunch, clothes shopping with Laura and not feeling well. Clive by now wanted to go out shopping, and I had mentioned a nearby centre whose shops opened late. 'We could go now,' he said. Given the state of my stomach, and the fact that I am full of cold (forgot to mention that) I think it says a lot for my stamina and my desire to please that I said, 'Yes of course,' and managed another two hours of shopping in M&S and Borders, until I collapsed on the sofa at 9pm with a cup of tea.....

And I thought, in the middle of the night, having had the discussion with D about our professional responsibilities, and how I handle stuff in the business when he is not around (ie late) and he handles stuff I haven't got around to doing (he is going to do some work on Monday I haven't done yet, but I have been busy...) and how D says we are equals and partners and should be professional and not let personal feelings affect the business..well, I agree, I did run the meeting with our clients on that basis, I was extremely professional..well, in the light of Shaun's comment that D should have a pay cut for every time he is late....it dawned on me, do you think I should mention it's time I was put on the payroll? That being tossed the occasional iphone, like a dog biscuit, isn't really enough?

1 comment:

Disillusioned said...

Good to see you last night.

Hope you are enjoying the CDs.

Oh, and I meant it when I said I liked the hair colour!!

C