Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Ode to a lost file....

Working so hard these past few days..finance meetings, paperwork, focus focus..hospital appointment for a scan..more of that later...

Then today, finally finished placement report on student, saved it and it seemed to go in a funny temporary file with letters and numbers..then I tried to e-mail it to her and couldn't find it..wasn't there under My Recent Documents..have actually spent more time looking for it than it took me to write, but I so wouldn't give up. Now I have, lost not found, and I have to do it again tomorrow and find all the right words, I worked so long and hard on it..........

Was going to go swimming tonight to celebrate joining gym properly..then got an e-mail from Jacky saying, 'Would you like to come round for supper tonight?' Suddenly I liked being spontaneous again, and yes I would please, we had fun and a laugh..I am so blessed with good friends..near and far ..thank you...

5 comments:

Rainbow dreams said...

How completely frustrating - hope the lost words came back to you and flowed onto the screen effortlessly x

Shaun said...

Sally, my guess is that you opened the file from an email and that when you saved it, word saved the file in a temporary location.

It is probably still there.

Was the folder called OLK3 ?. If so, you should be able to get the file back by searching for it.

Open file explorer.
select search from the bar
select find all files and folders
change the look in section to read C:\
Select the advanced search option and make sure search system folders, hidden folders and sub folders are all selected.
Now type your file name in the top box and search for it. If you can't remember all of it just search for *.doc or the file format you used.

Press the search button and go and have a cup of tea or some choclate.

hopefully the computer will then search everywhere for your file and give you a load of results. identify the correct one from the list, open it by double clicking and then do a file > save as in word to save it to a more sensible location.

sally said...

Shaun you are exactly right, that is exactly what has happened..I wonlt do that again! I think I have done what you are suggesting..but I will try againa t wokr tomorrow just in case!!! Thank you for trying to help, you are a tsart..a star even xxx

Rainbow dreams said...

I am taking notes from Shaun to avoid mistakes here in future - but might just remeber this is here in case :-) Am pleased all is not lost

Shaun said...

Hello again. The folder should probably be here.

"C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK3"

although the folder might be hidden, its still there, and you could browse to it by pasting in the above between the quotes and putting your username into it.