Thursday, August 03, 2006

A lesson learned......

I have been computer literate for a long long time!!! But still learning, obviously.... re my previous post, Ode to as Lost File, I worked on my report at home and e-mailed it to myself at work. On Monday in the office, I opened said e-mail attachment and finished work on the report. Pretty sure I pressed save, but who knows........ lesson to all..if you open a document as an e-mail attachment, always press 'save as' and put it in a folder. Mine was just an attachment which saved itself (I think, if it saved at all! and agree with Shaun about this) in a temporary folder. I then went to e-mail the report to my student, and three months of work would be finished, out the way, happy bunny me...when I went to My Recent Documents, it wasn't there..first sign of impending doom.

To cut a long story medium, it's hard to find a document when it is in a temporary file somewhere like cjoo56k or any other number you wouldn't remember..so you have to start doing lots of strange deep delving searches..which I spent longer doing than finishing the report....

Today I will try what Shaun said in my comments, though to be fair I think I did all that and more yesterday..... but one more go won't hurt.

Why? Why go to all that bother when I could re-do the work in an hour? Well, I tried . Yesterday, I really tried. Writing her strengths, learning opportunities, engagement with clients and other professionals, putting theory into practice, of her understanding of values and ethics, so it goes on, with me giving examples work..all that took me an hour to finish on Monday.

But yesterday..I just couldn't! I tried. I made phone calls, checked e-mails, tidied my desk, went to sleep for a while - really! - but all the words that came out of my head so successfully yesterday have not only gone from the pc, also from my head. It's almost impossible to redo a piece of work..it's like my brain won't let me,,if I frustratingly can't remember what I wrote, I have to be creative and start again....yesterday I had to abandon it.

Well, this morning I have to redo it before leaving at lunchtime to go to my folk festival with my cousin...and I have s staff supervision session and a family visit to fit in...better get up then!!!!!!

If I can't blog til Sunday..be sure I will then.................see you xxx

1 comment:

Rainbow dreams said...

some days words come and others they don't - hope you either found it today, or you had inspiration that meant you got it all done in time - have a wonderful time at the festival, Katie x