Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Oooh..the sun is out....


That big yellow thing in the sky..it has been sunny for a few days now..it's hard to be at work in an office that gets no sun, and is often chillier in than out....

Don't think I blogged about going to see a nutritionist..I never thought I was one for short-lived 'phases', but I appear to be doing this a bit....a few months ago I was seeing a hypnotherapist... no, that's not the word...a hippopotamus... not not that either.. it will come to me..it's early..an aromatherapist... No! Sod it..brain think.....homeopath..that's it, I knew it began with H.....and that was fine but then I stopped going..in the weeks leading up to Laa's wedding, I went to a facial massage and Reiki therapist..her name was Roma... really, she was lvoely...my friend Mandy giggled helplessly at the thought of me going for Roma therapy..ha ha.....

Anyway, in between all that and seeing the doctor for my IBS which has been Bad, Bad, and yes, it was all put down to stress, and I had tablets, but now I am not quite so stressed, (well, I do have days when I lsoe it, I can still get So Angry....but not for at least a week now.....) but recently it has been Very Bad (I'll spare you the details, it's almost breakfast time here...) and rather than go back to the GP who threatened to organise invasive things where I would rather not be invaded....I had suspicious it could be dietary, researched on the internet and found a Diet and Nutrition person running her own private practice right int he middle of St Albans.

I decided to give it a go. I made an appointment. I kept a diet sheet for 7 days, of everything I ate and drank. I was Very Honest - otherwise, what's the point? Reading the diet sheet..well no wonder I was ill, anyone could work out it was probably the unhealthiest diet in the world..well I went to see her and I was there over two hours, having a biology lesson, learning about my liver, and toxins, and good and bad bacteria, and comparing my diet with a recommended one...mine was the opposite way round...intake of fruit and veg practically nil when it should have been most..ditto water..too many teas and coffees, intake of sugar and fat highest when it should have been least...anyway after lots of talking and me filling in endless life style sheets, and health sheets..(Was I breastfed as a baby? God know..can't even ask now....)

Anyway...to cut a long story half medium..she did some allergy tests on me..(I wont go into them..DC just laughed...be a sceptic, I don't care, she was very professional and I decided to go with it....) I am weak on some minerals, like calcium, zinc and magnesium, and so now I have large tablets to take twice a day to top me up..and she picked up an intolerance to wheat, dairy, and kiwi fruit. Kiwi fruit? Never eaten any in my life, not knowingly, so no trouble giving them up.......

Then the bombshell. For a whole month I must be wheat, dairy and tea and coffee free. Now run along...

5 comments:

Disillusioned said...

Good for you for going and for deciding to follow the advice. If it does make a difference to your IBS, that will be wonderful for you, and if it doesn't, you can return to the tea and coffee etc knowing you have given it the best chance you can. Good luck!

Shaun said...

no dairy rules out chocolate too doesn't it?

sally said...

aah..not when you find, after 10 days without.. a bar of Green & Black's dark 70% cocoa chocolate..no dairy, no wheat..I ate half..mmmm... savoured it, saved some..which the dog found and ate....

Rachel said...

I had those kind of allergy tests done a while ago - I struggle so much with my wheat intolernace...why is it the things you like that your body had trouble with???

For me, at least, it meant I knew why I was feeling bad and could make an informed decision - I've also learnt (again depending on stress!) how much I can have before it really effects me! :)

Hope you manage to stick with things!

Kathryn said...

Wooh...I was getting anxious about the chocolate thing...thank the Lord for G&Bs...and i'm impressed that you managed to leave some for Sophie dog, even if she wasn't the intended recipient :-)