Monday, August 13, 2007

Cropredy, Day Two.....

So, Day 2, more sunshine, more music, and I was seated on the hillside early to catch the traditional Saturday opening act: Richard Digance. He has opened the Saturday programme for about 5 years now, he came out of retirement for a one off, went down a storm, and has come back every year!



You have to be there to hear and appreciate the humour of his songs, and his chat....he got us all up and dancing with white hankies, morris dancing and singing along to Little White Bull and Two Little Boys..only in England.....

The music was brilliant, and varied..right up until The Strawbs, they were too painfully loud, piercing vocals, bad sound which just hurt your ears....but at 8pm, on came Fairport and Friends, and they played until midnight, to 20,000 people on their feet and rocking...loud, but good loud, if you know what I mean..such talented musicians, such lvoely people....

I did really well, but not quite as well as on Friday...I just started to shrink a bit..feel a bit insecure..in need of a hug..I did try and fight it, really I did...then Chris Leslie announced a tune and dedicated it to all the lvoed ones we have lost...oh no, dangerous ground...the music was of course wonderful, violin and guitar, a sweet haunting melody which just gets to you, well it got to me, a lump in my throat, tears in my eyes, and even more in need of a hug..I looked round and the people I was with...all in couples, with their arms round each other. That did it, no mates just crumpled and tears poured into the darkness and aloneness. That's the trouble with self pity and mawkish sentimentality...but I did want a hug..and there was no-one.....



So I gave myself a good talking to and reminded myself I needed no-one, I had myself, God, the warm night, the hillside and the music..and I was there...free and strong and independent...then they played Matty Groves, they always do..I love their version, loud, dramatic, strong...but what a surprise when the large screen behind them screened a grainy balck and white movie of the Ballad of Matty Groves, done with lego figures...I don't know how Simon Nicholl kept singing, we were all laughing so much....



Of course, they always end with Meet on The Ledge: when my time is done I'm gonna see all my friends....we all hold hands and say..see you next year....

So back to my little tent, warmer tonight, and I sleep well, until I wake at 3am and hear the familiar pit a pat of rain on canvas...well, that will be the third year I have camped and had to put a wet tent away..I started packing up at 7am..at 9am I was bored and collected the3 legged dog from the caravan and took her for a walk down to the canal, and said hello to the ncie people chugging along on their narrow boats, the sun out again.

I accepted a coffee from the neighbours, but then decided not to stay for breakfast, but take my leave, my new Fairport CD playing in the car, time to drive back to the other world, and think....I did it. I survived it. I enjoyed it. Welcome back, independent lady. You almost made it through.

1 comment:

Rainbow dreams said...

well done.. pleased you enjoyed it, belatedly sending a hug your way anyway, x