Saturday, August 04, 2007

Healthy food can be bad for you.....

What an eventful week..weatherwise, quite good. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, hot and sunny..blue skies..lvoely..only our office faces north and gets no sun at all..and has not really warmed up. Sometimes it feels a bit chilly and we have to go outside and walk around in the sun to warm up. Oh yes, Friday was hot and sunny too (more of this later...), it's just Thursday which dawned grey and cloudy. And cold. And between about..let me see, about 12 noon until 2pm...a fine drizzle started, hardly noticeable at first..in fact I was in denial,, but it got harder and harder, until it was fully fledged rain..then gradually it stopped. Yes, it definitely only rained between 12 and 2pm....oh that will be the time we had one of annual family picnics in the park then?

And the day Sally-ever-the-Optimist turned up for work in sandals, cropped trousers and t shirt - no coat or jumper or waterproof, oh no....sat with sensible families eating our lunch - them with egg sandwiches and crisps and chocolate and me with my lettuce and humus and oat cakes....one little girl started crying and said she was cold..I slapped her and said, look, you have a cardy and raincoat and little umbrella with teddies on, which is more than I have got, so get a grip and stop whingeing and start enjoying yourself.....

We played egg and spoon races, I won and the little children cried. It's character building. We played golf with plastic clubs and balls. We played tennis..I would hit a sponge ball to small child with racquet who would wave racquet wildly and miss. Fun. We got wet. I was very cold and wet. Everyone else seemed to be appropriately dressed, ie jumpers and raincoats.

We all went to the swings..I pushed a double buggy around in the rain so the mum could push her toddler on the swings. I looked in at the sleeping twins, snugly wrapped up under their plastic hood and wondered if there was room for one more in there....

But Friday, Friday was once again hot and sunny. I handled various crises, spent ages on the phone listening to problems, tried to help, tried to sort, and after one long phone call when the volunteer was telling me own problems too, I just had to get away, out of the office and breathe. And sit in the sun. I went round to Carluccios, sat at the sunniest table and ordered rice salad and water. Service is always slow there, but it suited me. I sat. I breathed. I relaxed. I tried not to actually go to sleep. I ordered meringue with fresh raspberries. I gave in to temptation - I ordered a cappucino. They do small ones but perfect. I sipped. It was bloody lvoely. I waited a long time. The meringue never came. I got the bill, got the meringue taken off, and as I was paying a Very Nice Man came and gave me the meringue in takeaway carton, I may as well have it, it was prepared now and they would otherwise have to throw it away....Uh? Oh well, never say no...

I sat back at my desk, got a spoon, and started eating a healthy (sort of) dark chocolate flavoured home made meringue with fresh raspberries and raspberry sauce. The meringue was crisp in the outside and chewy on the inside, Very chewy. And gorgeous. See, wheat and dairy free can be very lvoely. Hang on, what's this crunchy bit? Chew a bit more...oh, that'll be the crown off my tooth then. Excellent. Reach for the phone. Dentist, 2pm Monday. Done.

3 comments:

1 i z said...

Mmm I'm thinking putting meringues down as 'healthy food' may be stretching things a little ;-)

Hope the tooth doesn't hurt too much my love.

Disillusioned said...

Hope the appointment tomorrow sorts it all out (and as affordably as possible!)

Sympathies.

Rainbow dreams said...

will be thinking of you tomorrow... hope it goes ok

and congratulations on the egg and spoon.... did you get a sticker?
and somehow I'm always inappropriately dressed for the weather...you're not alone...