Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Oh, I have sinned too....


Yes, it's confession time, Caroline is not the only one.....I couldn't help myself..I gave in to temptation.....you can't really blame me after two weeks of abstinence and self denial....
It all started with me agreeing to a trip to a landrover dealers on the way back from a meeting in Cheltenham a couple of weeks ago..to see a newer blue landy, to replace the older blue landy...the dealership was amazing, hidden away in a village near Oxford, behind a row of Cotswold stone cottages..I was driving and nearly missed it, there is just a tiny tasteful brass plaque in a stone pillar..and upon seeing the beautiful premises, line upon line of gorgeous landys, and the gentleman owner's house and garden next door to the dealership..it put my mind at rest that DC had found this landy on e-bay....
We had a test drive in it up and down the country lanes, I thought it handled well..but was it worth upgrading and paying an extra few thousand. The decision (as business partner for spending out on a new company car appeared to be mine.) I made my mind up. Yes, but it, because the current landy has a horrid dirty grey leather interior I have never liked. This one has lvoely cream leather, much better, buy it. DC was persuaded.
So after my vidsit to the dentist yesterday, I offered to be driver for the trip to pick it up, the old landy having been sold on e-bay earlier....we set off for Oxfordshire in blazign sunshine, me apologising for my little polo's lack of air con.
So,we got there, bought the landy from the lvoet lvoely man who had done lots of work on it for us and there it was, sparkly and ready to go..and I insisted, instead of driving straight back, we should stop and celebrate..it wasmy fault..my idea...I saw this hotel on a roundabout in Witney and insisted we pulled in. We went in, and I just had to....I wanted it. I needed it so badly. DC said no, I should have more self control, but I made him. So we did it.......(I am so ashamed to own up....) We had a cream tea.
DC even got the man to show me a selection of herbal teas, but I said no, sod it, its been two weeks of being good..so there we sat, at a table in the sunshine, with a pot of tea, warm fruit scones, butter, jam and cream. If you could have been a witness, you would have seen two people, one on a wheat and dairy free diet, one not, sitting side by side in the sun: one, eating and drinking slowly and silently, gazing into space, feeling the sun on her face, and the taste of the best cup of tea and scones jam and cream on her tongue, in a silent orgasmic reverie: her partner next to her reading the landrover manual, and reading bits out loud, like the interesting bit on the self-levelling suspension...
Then him ringing his insuracne company to confirm details of the landy from the log book..causing me to choke on my scone and have complete hysterics when he confirmed the registration number as only he could: 'Oscar Unicorn Wankee..I mean Yankee.....' How he kept the conversation going with a straight face as I giggled helplessly and rocked the table spilling our tea I don't know, but when he put the phone down he went the same way.
This wheat and dairy free diet stuff..not sure I could really see how it was helping..until about 40 minutes after the cream tea. Stomach cramps.....urgent loo stop..I may have sinned, but I have paid the price....oh well, scuse me while I reach for an oatcake and a cup of fruit tea....
Back home in bed I check e-mails and there is one from my cousin, who has been absent from my inbox for months. He was reminding me it is exactly a year since we went to the Wickham folk festival (see last year's blog if you are keen!) and got to know each other better. Good to hear from him, thanks for the memories, Big Coz.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

lol
Thanks sweetie...I needed a giggle.
Possibly good (though unwelcome) to know that either the gluten or the caffeine does make a difference...and I guess it might not have to be both...only time will tell.
Impressed, anyway x

sally said...

yes, but if one breaks all three rules at once, having wheat, dairy and caffeine in one go, it's hard to tell what has done the damage!!!

Rainbow dreams said...

best just break one at a time in future then... :) sounds good though - we all need a treat now and again...x

Rachel said...

thanks for the laugh - lord knows, I needed it this morning with the way work is going! I'm with you as far as cream teas go, they are (if good) well worth it!! As for breaking all three rules at once, next time (should it ever happen!!!) when you break just one, you may not feel so bad! :) Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks - I'll be the one lost without something to do!!