Sunday, July 15, 2007

Mmmm...a better day....

Started my Saturday morning in the usual way, in bed reading or on laptop, listening to radio 2, Brian Matthew's Sound of the 60s..my kind of show, and full of interesting facts and stories and insights into familiar music and artists...I continued listening whilst cleaning my building-site-cum-kitchen which I am very happy in, altho it is far from finished, and is short of a window, it lacks a pillar which makes me happy...room to move!!!!

I am interrupted mid-clean (which always makes me happy) by my business partner ringing to say he will be over at 10.15am to do the work we didn't manage yesterday, due mainly to his non-arrival. I duly set up laptop on dining room table, put kettle on and wait...goodness, he is only 20 minutes late!!!! We really work very hard on one of our festivals, getting ready to report to the management committee on Monday. Despite the fact that I have the concentration of a gnat, and keep trying to distract by being playful (silly) or simply getting things wrong so that I am the cause of much amusement, he manages to keep us focused on work, which is the right thing to do, and by 3.30pm we are allowed to finish and I can get my lunch..I have an action list for suppliers to contact...

At one point he caused me great amusement, there we were in front of our matching pcs, screens full of spreadsheets and action plan and time plans, and I am sourcing suppliers, and he says, 'Have you got a bit of paper for me to write the suppliers on?' I look, incredulously. 'A bit of paper? A bit of paper? Why don't we write the names on post-it notes and stick them to our screens?' Pause. 'What do you think our laptops are for?' And I thought I was blonde....anyway, soon the potential suppliers are on another spreadsheet with columns for the quotes, and David's head is back in techno land where in belongs.

I like being busy. Once DC had left, I was at a loose end...the sun was out but I had done enough sitting for one day..I know, I'll do some gardening! Like I used to, once upon a time.....I had bought my dad a present one year, a small green stool that you can sit on in the garden when you need a rest..the seat is a little hinged lid, when you open it there is space for small garden tools, like a little trowel, fork, secateurs etc.... The wheeze is that, you can turn the stool over and it becomes a little padded kneeler with sides to lean on..I lvoe it, and brought it home when we cleared the house so now it's mine.....and it looks a bit like this.....
..so I took it into the front garden and knelt on it and weeded..and weeded...and weeded...and filled three little yellow tubs full..(well one yellow tub three times) and while I was weeding was thinking one reason for feeling a bit low is, I haven't seen Laa for a while, I know she's busy but I miss her, and want to phone her, but don't like to be 'needy' to my children - James had rung that morning for a chat, he does often, which I lvoe - and as I was feeling so down I hadn't rung her..but as I was weeding, I was willing for her to come and surprise me and drop by for a chat....I got bored with weeding and my back hurt but wouldn't let myself stop until all the chippings were weeded..a car pulled up and I looked up hopefully..but it was for next door..I weeded a bit more and thought about Laa and wondered what she was doing....a car pulled up and I looked....and it was Laa!!!!!
'Hello', she says, 'I was a bit bored and wondered what you were doing.....' I hugged her a big hug and we made tea and sat in the garden and chatted and talked about all sorts, and shared and chatted, and went to the garage and shopped a bit, and sat in the car and talked a bit more and it was lvoely...just what I needed...then Jacky rang and asked if I wanted an evening dog walk so I did, and we walked, and I stayed for supper and we sat in her garden and talked..and I came home a happier person....I so need to have people to talk to..not about anything in particular, it's just that I'm a girly, and talking is what I do best (well..almost...)
After fall sleep watching tele, I came to bed with my laptop and caught up on blogs and said hello to a couple of peeps..then played solitaire til I was falling asleep, but had 'won' one game..it is sooo addictive....
Now I am talking to you this morning...must get up...not going to listen to Steve Wright's Sunday morning Love Songs, they always make me cry in the end....

3 comments:

1 i z said...

"I'm a girly, and talking is what I do best (well..almost...)"

So (she asks innocently), what is it that you do best Sally? ;-)

Kathryn said...

Oh Sal...sometimes reading your posts is disturbingly like being inside my own head.
Glad the day was better...and hooray for mother and daughter time. It does make most things better, imo :-)

sally said...

liz...that would be telling....and Kathryn, if the inside of your head is anything like mine, I feel very sorry for you!!!!!