Thursday, July 19, 2007

Lvoe it, lvoe it, lvoe it....

...my job that is..I had gone off it of late, it had lost it's spark, but I realise that is because of all the end of year stuff I had to do, reports to funders, annual statistics, analysis, budgets, funding bids etc etc, all desk work and requiring discipline and concentration!!! (I can do it, actually, thank you....) But because we weren't recruiting volunteers recently, and our books were closed for referrals, there weren't so many visits to do, and I was letting N do them while I got on with stuff, and so recently I realised I wasn't getting out enough...

You can probably tell form my last blogs that as soon as I get out meeting people I come alive, it's what makes my job what it is. Yesterday I went out to interview two prospective volunteers, so very different, but with amazing stories to tell, I stayed far too long, and one visit which started with coffee, ended up with me being offered lunch! And that was from a lady who said she was private and didn't open up much.....but then she was talking to me....where did the two hours go??? And she said she couldn't wait to come and train as a volunteer....

And the Bangladeshi mum I mentioned came to a group we run yesterday, which I had invited her to, and I met her children, and she was animated and chatting to everyone, and couldn't thank me enough for visiting and listening and she feels better already.....

Do you know the one thing you can give people which costs nothing but is the most valuable thing on the planet? Your time.

2 comments:

Rainbow dreams said...

Am so pleased you're getting out more.. it does make such a difference meeting people and engaging with them ... it all sounds good.

A friend of mine recently said to me his Mother had said before she died that the only thing we really need to give our children is our time, and I think thats probably true... there is nothing more valuable than our time.

Rainbow dreams said...

Sometimes it seems odd that I hear the same message from several sources all around the same time... you're right - again :) thanks,Katie,xx