Friday, February 01, 2008

Struggling....

No other word for it..I am struggling with the new regime. C has been semi-retired and working from home now since October/November. This is a change after 30 years of working long days, plus Saturday mornings..so altho I work full time I also had time to myself. There was a pattern. I also did most of the shopping, cooking, cleaning (tho not much of that!) etc etc. Suddenly C has taken over it all, and while it sounds lvoely that I don't have to shop or cook or even think about it, the role I have always had has gone.

To be honest I feel like a lodger in my own home. I have only cooked two or three meals in my new kitchen over the last three months...I don't know what is in the cupboards or fridge cos I am not buying it, and C even decided what went where in the new food cupboards and I came home one day to find every shelf labelled with yellow dymo tape and neatly printed..'sauces' 'tins' 'vegetables'...'cereals'...which was scary..who labels their shelves???

Now you would think if I am feeling like this and so unhappy, that we would have sat down and talked about it, but no, not us....it all came to a head the other weekend with the bathroom incident..C cleaned and tidied the bathroom, and there is always a hint that it has been cleaned properly for the first time in its life, which isn't true, and I take it personally, especially as all my little bottles of shampoo, conditioner, bath oil, etc etc had been removed and put in a box on my bed, so the bathroom could be tidy for once....

Instead of being appreciative of the hard work, of course I sulked and was cross, and indicated that he could put all my belongings in boxes and I would just move out....when I got back from my volunteers' dinner that night I went into the bathroom to find it trashed....stuff everywhere, all my stuff back and more, all over the floor...it was a sign that he was Very Upset and Very Angry. I hate all that, am scared of people's anger, and next morning go down and apologise but end up in tears trying to explain how I feel....

I tidy the bathroom and put my little bottles back where I like them. Not a word has been said since, but when I opened a kitchen cupboard a few days later, I realised the shelf labels had gone. I never mentioned them, but perhaps saying I felt he had taken over and I felt like a visitor in my own home had done the trick....

7 comments:

Disillusioned said...

Gentle hugs.
I too am terrified of other people's anger. And I know about the difficulties of talking things through too. So I am thinking of you; I have no answers but have all the hugs you would like.

1 i z said...

Oh sweetie, the whole situation sounds like a nightmare.

I really, really think you need to try and talk to him about how you're feeling and how deep that goes, otherwise I fear it will just keep erupting...and I so hear what you say about being around anger.

The fact he took the shelf labels down suggests he does on some level appreciate that this massive change is difficult for you, so it sounds like he's receptive to some degree. Similarly you're clearly recognising the bathroom trashing as his way of communicating that he too is finding this renegotiation of roles really difficult.

But I do think you need to hear all this from each other calmly, not just bottling it all up, both get stressed and only communicating when it gets to that crisis point. He needs to hear how it makes you feel to be losing this 'part of being needed', and why shelf labelling is just too weird (even my dad hasn't gone that far!). He needs to hear all this from you, not through angry tears and not by stumbling upon this blog one day.

Oh honey, the above all sounds very trite and unhelpful. Wish I had a magic wand and could make it all be ok. Instead all I have to offer is hackneyed advice and some virtual hugs.

Will be thinking of you. You know where I am if you need to talk, scream, cry...

Kathryn said...

Oh love - ouch and more ouch! You know all too well that you are currently living my worst nightmare, the "When the children are gone and we don't have work to distract us" version...and I have no more answers for you than I do for myself. But I do send lots of love and hugs and sympathy and a few more hugs just in case - and yes, as Liz says, if you CAN talk about it, then it might well help...but I know what that's like too xxx

Caroline said...

no wise words, or even unwise words, but sending a hug.
xc

Caroline said...

hug (it's been a while)

Kathryn said...

Just wanted to send you a few tons of extra love, just in case it might be in any way useful.
I have taken on for Lent not making snide comments about A in his absence, particularly to the children...it may just finish me off, I think, and it's only the 1st Sunday of Lent :-(
Love you.
Hugs xxxxx

Rainbow dreams said...

hugs Sally... it all sounds so hard - am hoping it gets easier and perhaps some communication will be forthcoming too..Katie,x