Thursday, February 21, 2008

New Year resolution... a bit late....

I am determined to be stronger. I am determined to cry less and laugh more. I am determined to be me...really me.... a strange thing happened on Tuesday, I had spent a lot of time before and after Christmas booking artists for a gig in Ch*lmsf*rd in February, it was all sorted, but I was not responsible for the publicity, so I backed off. Then on Monday night at the meeting I was told we had not sold enough tickets and to cancel it. I was very disappointed to say the least.

So, Tuesday morning I rang the artists and left messages saying it was cancelled. Then I started to get e-mails and phone calls expressing doubt on the decision. I tried to deal with all this as well as work, and at the end of the day asked a certain co-director to take some of the work load as I had an emergency CP issue to deal with..unknown to me he wandered off to have a cup of tea when I thought we were in the middle of a laptop messaging conversation so didn't read my request..I ended up stressed and emotional and feeling unsupported, he was going to a church meeting so I went home late and then made several phone calls to deal with this.

The point is I was tired, depressed, defeated, fed up, it's four days until the concert I had worked so hard to organise, one minute it was cancelled, then was it? And there were all these calls and discussions which, quite frankly, I didn't need. Then something amazing happened. I suddenly wanted this concert to happen. I was going to make it happen. I sat down and fired off an e-mail to the committee, making a decision it would go ahead, organising certain things, telling people what to do in the four days we have, then having e-mailed it, realise it wasn't my decision to make. We (DC and I) work for them, they are our clients. I shouldn't fire off raging e-mails telling them what to do.

But I was suddenly fired up, full of energy, determined, focused. Instead of crying or sending whingeing texts I texted DC, 'The concert is happening, i will make it happen, I won't let go of this, I will show them!' Dc replied saying 'That's more like it!'

The response I got was positive, people reacted to my e-mail, people are jumping to it, things are happening, the gig is on. And I so relished the feeling of energy and purpose, a feeling I have lost of late, I have determined to hang on to it. I am strong, I don't need anyone else to affirm me, I am quite capable. I know my strengths and qualities. I will Be Myself. Perhaps God is with me after all....

However, when I was in London today, on T*nd*ring and Procur*m*nt training, and we were in groups discussing what out USPs were and how we could offer what funders really want, what are we good at, I probably shouldn't have said I give an amazing bl*w j*b, but the words were out of my mouth before you could say.....swallow.....

3 comments:

Disillusioned said...

That sounds really positive - well done you for making it happen!

What was the reaction to your comment at the training?...

Caroline said...

but is it true? you certainly shouldn't have said it if it was a lie.....

;)

Kathryn said...

Oh thank you, thank you Sally....that last para was exactly what I needed to read at the end of a very very looooooooong Sunday....though I have now splutted red wine all over the keyboard.