Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Arts and Literature..catch up....

What have I been doing, if not blogging? To be honest, I have tried to wean myself of this slight addiction..perhaps too successfully...instead I have been:

1. Reading: It started with Rosemarie giving me PS I Love You for Christmas: it was the perfect Christmas holiday read, and being the sad romantic that I am, I lvoed it. So I looked forward to a girly evening at the pictures with Rosemarie and Laura, we all wanted to see it. And what a naff, American apology for a film it was. Awful. Read the book by all means, if you like easy read, weepy, romantic literature, but so yourself a favour, forget the film. I have tried.....

What did I read next? Several things...nothing special or stretching for the intellect, but they do for me. Just finished 'Leaving Liverpool' by Maureen Lee. One of those war time Liverpudlian novels of love and determination overcoming poverty and hardship..oh, you know.....takes me back to me roots..... except me weren't poor, we had a garden and an inside toilet....

2. Crosswords and Soduko.

3. Gigs. Well, the Annual fairport Convention gig at the Alban Arena..... excellent. Simon Nicholls sang 'Who knows where the time goes,' one of the most beautiful songs ever written, by Sandy Denny, when she was just 20 years old - amazing lyrics - I sat, entranced, lost in the beautiful words and melody, and after turned to Clive, who had offered to come with me, as a gesture, I think, my eyes shining, 'Isn't that the most beautiful song?' There he was, arms folded, face closed, saying, 'It's ok, not one of my favourites.' he shrugged. Oh well.....




4. Watching TV. Larks Rise to Candleford. Wonderful Sunday evening sofa TV!!!

For further adventures of Sally....well, coming soon..I have been quite busy actually..thank you to those who have passed this way and left a hug and a hello!!!!




3 comments:

Rainbow dreams said...

All of those things sound fair reasons not to be blogging - although I haven't read /seen any of those...
sometimes we just need to nurture ourselves.. hugs Sally, x

Caroline said...

have neither read nor seen that...haven't been to a single gig, never do socuko or crosswords...so it all sounds quite exciting to me!!

huge hug
xC

Kathryn said...

Oh, those folded arms and closed face times....I so so so so so so empathise.
Glad there are some happy things happening...I've not watched Lark Rise because I love the book so much, and am told they've been very loose in the adaptation but that it works really well as a stand-alone. Sunday nights, though, don't work really well at all...well, not hereabouts anyway.
Hugs xxxx