Monday, February 25, 2008

The Gig was Good...

The gig that I worked so hard to make happen..it was only going to happen on the night if DC and I did the sound and lighting. So it was that I was up and out at 8am on Saturday morning, to give DC a lift to hire the van needed for all the gear..so that he could go to his church PCC away day, for the morning at least, before we met at 12.30pm to pack the van..God forbid he should have an empty minute in his day....

He had used the gig as an excuse/good reason to buy some new kit, so before packing the van I was introduced to the new lighting desk, cables, controls and lighting stands. I was given a quick lesson in how it all went together and how the board worked..yes, stand back in amazement, he had read the manual!!!!

Then all our sound and lighting equipment was loaded into the van, and we were off to Ch*lmsf*rd, at 3pm, later than we wanted to be, but why change the habit of a lifetime. I had made us a flask of coffee, and bought a van picnic, which was all consumed by the time we got to the church.

Fortunately my pleas for assistance had been heeded, and a small group of volunteers was waiting to help us unload and do the get-in. I got a keen 15 year old girl as my assistant, and she helped me put the lights up, plug in all the cables, extensions, beta packs, lighting desk, and lo and behold, an hour later, we had lights that worked. I hopped up and down the step ladder putting in coloured gels and focusing, while DC and his team got the sound system working, and what a miracle, we were ready and waiting for the artists to sound check at 5.30pm. Another helper was dispatched to buy pizza for them. so everyone was happy.

We also managed to turn the downstairs area lobby of the church into a cool, intimate venue: instead of having 30 people sat in church made for 200, feeling dry, we put cafe tables out, flowers, and the candles I had bought, we were able to serve wine too, so it was a lvoely night with good music from Boo and Andy, we enjoyed it, and I even went on stage to introduce the acts and plug the festival!!!

Our team of volunteers helped with the get-out, which meant we were on our way home again in the van by 11.15pm..tired but happy..doing one of the jobs we love best..crewing a gig together, being a good team. Just before hitting home, we pulled into a layby for a while...yes, the temptation got the better of us...I'll admit it..DC tucked into a Gingsters pasty (yuck) and a bottle of water, while I made do with a plain chocolate Bounty (yum) as I had eaten the slices of pizza left by the artists!!!

So, courtesy of my i-phone (sorry) here are some pics of the gig.....


2 comments:

Caroline said...

sooo pleased it went well
still think you're mad even trying to work with H I M tho!!!
xC

Rainbow dreams said...

Thanks for posting this - I had wondered how it went.. looks good too on the photos :)x